Author Topic: Ainsleys in Alnwick  (Read 3069 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ainsleys in Alnwick
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 June 16 12:36 BST (UK) »
I have found a grave and death notice for a Thomas Ainsley born in 1791 who died in 1873 and was a tailor which fits the profile for my Thomas, but his wife Ann died in 1842.

Where exactly did you find the information that his wife died in 1842?

Answering my own question, probably here http://image1.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=155471211&PIpi=132509132
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 June 16 13:55 BST (UK) »
Interestingly Thomas and Ann were living in Canongate in 1851.

As fiddlerslass mentioned, there is a 45 year old Ann Charlton living in Alnwick in 1841 - she is a 'merchant' living in Canongate (HO 107 / 828 / 5 / 15/ 22)

Maybe a coincidence (and Charlton is a very common surname in Northumberland) but I'd seriously consider that 1843 marriage certificate if I were you.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 June 16 23:52 BST (UK) »
I can look at Alnwick PRs for the 1843 marriage when I'm next at Woodhorn but that won't be until Wednesday.

Christine

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 June 16 01:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everybody. I think it is a possibility that Thomas and Ann Charlton were married in 1843 and would really appreciate a look up, Christine, as I live in NZ. I have also found a birth entry for a Ann Charlton in Chester lee Street in 1793. My ancestor is Ann Mattison whom I had always believes died in 1872 until I came across the headstone and burial notice. If this is my Ann would it be common for a husband to be added to her headstone even if he had remarried?
The census documents give Thomas's birth place as Alnwick, Embleton and Stamford, and Ann's as Haydon Bridge and Chester lee St. Could there be confusion about birth place and where they lived when young?
Thanks again
Margaret

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 June 16 08:33 BST (UK) »
The census documents give Thomas's birth place as Alnwick, Embleton and Stamford,
There is a squiggle at the end of the word Stamford and I wonder if it's meant to be Stamfordham. However, that is a good distance from Alnwick! Embleton is some 8 miles away from Alnwick.
I am wondering if there is a major error on that 1871 census and if perhaps the enumerator entered incorrect information (as fiddlerslass suggested)  :-\

I have also found a birth entry for a Ann Charlton in Chester lee Street in 1793.

As we said before, the 1851 and 1861 censuses clearly say that Ann was born in Haydon Bridge.
You are assuming that Ann was unmarried. She might have been a widow so her maiden name not Charlton. It is a pretty common surname in the north-east.

Best to leave things now until Christine has had a look for that possible marriage. otherwise you might be going down all sorts of incorrect paths  :)

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 June 16 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that
Margaret

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 23:02 BST (UK) »
Sadly, I did not find the 1843 marriage in the parish records  :-\

I'm wondering whether they may have married in the register office but if that's the case the only way to decide whether this is the correct marriage would be to acquire the certificate.

I did look at the 'first' Ann's burial record which gives the abode as being Dispensary Lane - almost ties in with the Dispensary Street address on the '41 census so I would say that this is Ann Mattison.

Christine

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you much Christine. I will.follow up on this. It does seem that Ann Mattison is the one on the headstone
. Unusual for a husband to add his name after having remarried. Much appreciated
Margaret

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 June 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
It could have been their children who decided to have both parents mentioned on the same grave stone.

Christine