Author Topic: Rhesus Negative Factor  (Read 22592 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: Rhesus Negative Factor
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 08:18 BST (UK) »
a genetic link amongst people who are rhesus negative and if it could help with DNA testing and tracing ancestors.

Well, your Rhesus factor is determined by your genes but it is unlikely to help you to trace ancestors. It can only eliminate certain parent/child uncertainties and only if you know which Rhesus factor each carries. This would enable you to say when they are not related; two Rh- parents cannot have a Rh+ child.
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
two Rh- parents cannot have a Rh+ child.

I guess it's possible if the Rh parents are Rh-/Rh+.  In my case my parents were both Rh+ but I turned out to be Rh- and presumably Rh-/Rh- as all my children are Rh-, yet my husband is Rh+ (so probably Rh+/Rh-.  When my parents went to become blood donors they were told their blood group meant they were positive to give but negative to receive - and it's interesting that the two of them should meet each other, especially as their near ancestors came from totally different parts of the UK!  When I was doing my midwifery training I asked the haematologist lecturer to explain to me how I could be the child of 2 Rh+ parents and it is (and obviously was) possible.  People could say I'm not my father's daughter but as I look exactly like him and his sisters, I think I probably am  ;)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
two Rh- parents cannot have a Rh+ child.

I guess it's possible if the Rh parents are Rh-/Rh+.  In my case my parents were both Rh+ but I turned out to be Rh- and presumably Rh-/Rh- as all my children are Rh-, yet my husband is Rh+ (so probably Rh+/Rh-.  When my parents went to become blood donors they were told their blood group meant they were positive to give but negative to receive - and it's interesting that the two of them should meet each other, especially as their near ancestors came from totally different parts of the UK!  When I was doing my midwifery training I asked the haematologist lecturer to explain to me how I could be the child of 2 Rh+ parents and it is (and obviously was) possible.  People could say I'm not my father's daughter but as I look exactly like him and his sisters, I think I probably am  ;)

Two rhesus negative parents cannot have a rhesus positive child as for your phenotype to be rhesus negative your genotype has to be Rh-/Rh- as the Rh negative gene is recessive to the Rh+ gene.  A Rhesus positive parent however could have a rhesus negative child if  their genotype was Rh+/Rh- providing they had a child with someone who was either Rhesus positive with a RH+/Rh- genotype as well or someone who was Rh- (Rh-/Rh-)
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 09:48 BST (UK) »
Pharma - OK, I understand, so if someone has a phenotype Rh+/Rh- they are automatically Rh+ but can have Rh- neg children with someone who also has phenotype Rh+/Rh-, which is what happened in my family.  I guess as I am Rh-, so presumably with a phenotype of Rh-/Rh- and as all our children are also Rh-, my husband's phenotype must be Rh+/Rh-.  What I don't understand is why my parents were given special donor cards and were told their blood had to be treated as positive when given to someone, but negative if they needed blood.  No-one has ever told my husband that, as far as he is concerned his blood group is Rh+.  He used to be a blood donor and just had the usual coloured card for RhB+.  I used to know which coloured card meant which blood group, but I've forgotten now.  All I know is my parents both had brown cards.

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
I have posted this on message 49, hopefully it will answer all your questions.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 15:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you Pamela21, it answers some questions.

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:17 BST (UK) »

When my parents went to become blood donors they were told their blood group meant they were positive to give but negative to receive

Does this not mean that only positive blood groups can receive their blood as they were rh pos, but they could receive negative blood as well as positive. Depending on the blood group I’ve always understood that blood group O is the universal giver but can only receive O blood, and within that every blood group can accept O rh neg but only any positive blood types can receive O rh pos!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:23 BST (UK) »

Negative can only receive negative blood, but can donate to positive, group O Rh Neg is a universal donor and can be given to all, but can only receive O Rh Neg blood, as I was given to understand.  Mum was ORhNeg and was a regular donor.

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
The point is when my parents gave blood it was considered Rh positive so could only be given to someone with Rh positive blood.  However, if they ever needed blood themselves they would have to be given Rh negative blood.  As far as I can see this must be to do with antigens, not the well known D antigen, but some other antigen.