Author Topic: Marriage of Elizabeth Froggatt and George Gough abt 1752 Staffordshire  (Read 869 times)

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Elizabeth Froggatt and George Gough abt 1752 Staffordshire
« on: Saturday 18 June 16 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I have spent quite a few years now going back and forth hoping to finding this marriage record using various sources. I know there does come a point in family lines where it does become a dead end via internet researching, but this particular couple I would really like to find an answer to (if there is one out there!).

Elizabeth Froggatt (born 1734, Alrewas) and George Gough (birth abt 1720) presumably would have married circa 1752 when their only son , William, was born (Alrewas 1752).
I was lucky enough to find a copy of George's will, which always refers to his wife as 'reputed' and William as his 'reputed' son  ???

I have yet to even find a marriage through countless searches that may hint at being theirs.
I have widened my search outside of Staffordshire and even England Also, with no luck.
George's birth was recorded as 'about 1720' on his will, so I have no definate birth or birthplace for him that may indicate another area to look closer at either.

I've come to realise this one may just remain a mystery, but if anyone out there by chance find anything for this couple, I would really appreciate it  :)

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Elizabeth Froggatt and George Gough abt 1752 Staffordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 June 16 17:13 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the reason you can't find a record of the marriage has a clue in the word 'reputed' in the will. I wonder if this term is what we would use today as 'common law wife' and that they had never been formally married

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Zen rabbit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Elizabeth Froggatt and George Gough abt 1752 Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 16 19:11 BST (UK) »
I presume that you have already tried spelling variants such as Goff, Goth, etc. My illiterate Bourne ancestors often had their name transcribed in weird ways (including Brown)
Stanton of Stafford
Bourne of Stoke-on-Trent
Smith of Stoke-on-Trent
Philpott of Pontesbury
Pugh of Worthen & Pontesbury