Author Topic: Two brothers with identical given name?  (Read 2907 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Two brothers with identical given name?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 June 16 14:08 BST (UK) »
Just to mess things up the one I think I am referring to was baptised 1854 - parents Arthur F and Catherine McClory  ::)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 June 16 14:30 BST (UK) »
There are several births in Kilcoo, Down Catholic registers which match the children of Arthur and Catherine, Liverpool.
These show parents as Arthur Fegan and Catherine McClory which matches the Terence baptised in Liverpool.

Offline NicolaasMars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 June 16 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thank you for your help. I am still trying to reconstruct the (at least) two families Fegan who alternated between Co. Down and Liverpool--quite confusing.

Could you tell me where you found the baptism of Terence in 1854? (I did not know RC baptisms of Liverpool are on-line somewhere.)

Thanks,

Nicolaas

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 June 16 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Liverpool Catholic records are online at Anc. Most/some are in Latin so you need to search by surname and in this case 'Ter*' or Terentius.
If you have that site, it is best to go through the card catalogue for Liverpool Catholic records as a general search seems to miss these at times.

Were some of the Fegan/Hagan children born in Liverpool or did they emigrate to Liverpool?

Heywood

Offline NicolaasMars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 June 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thank you for this impressively speedy response!

I am subscriber to FindMyPast; they do not seem to have the RC Liverpool records. Subscribing to both FindMyPast and Anc is too expensive for me. (Furthermore, I am Dutch, and doing this research for my daughter-in-law, who is British with Irish ancestry.)

Because of the confusion I have, I have gone back one generation, where I am on more solid ground: the marriage in 1889 Liverpool of the sought-after Terence Fagan. (I wrongly wrote that his father Arthur's profession is given as farmer; it is laborer. Sorry.)

I found Terence with his wife Rose Ann Cain in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census. (In 1891 misspelled as Lurrance Fagan in the FindMyPast transcription; in 1911 his wife has died (in 1910).)

In 1891 and 1901 his place of birth is given as Liverpool, in 1911 it is Co. Down, Ireland.

I have Terence's death certificate of 1935 which gives his age as 80 years, which contradicts his age of 28 years on the 1889 marriage certificate.

I appear to have jumped prematurely to the conclusion that the first Arthur Fegan I found in Co. Down with a son Terence was the correct one.  The question now is: how to determine which parent Arthur Fegan is the correct one?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Nicolaas

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 June 16 10:23 BST (UK) »
As I say, there are baptisms for the Fegan/McClory family both in Kilcoo and Liverpool which match the family in 1871 with Terence and parents, Arthur and Catherine.
I couldn't find Terence in 1881 but will look later. I am off out now.
Arthur is a labourer too which makes me think that the Liverpool family are the the right ones but nothing proven yet.

Offline NicolaasMars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 June 16 10:25 BST (UK) »
I should correct my last mail: Lurrance Fegan is not a mis-transcription by FindMyPast; the original does show this name. Sorry.

I tried to find the "alternative" parents of Terence Fegan in the UK census.
In 1871 I do find them (RG 10 3793 17 28) with 8 children. Three or four of these match with baptisms I found in Kilkoo, Co; Down, albeit with some discrepancies in dates:
Hugh, bapt. 1855, born according to census 1858
Mary (or Marg.?), bapt. 1856, in census 1859
Sarah Ann, bapt. 1858, in census 1861
Felix, bapt. 1861, in census 1862.

I could not find the baptism of Arthur (Auther?) who according to the 1871 census was born in Ireland in 1853.
I found another baptism in 1857 of a Cath., who may of course have died before the census date.

--
In the census 1881 I found the parents Arthur and Catherine, still living at the same address as in 1871, with one son: Larry. Could it be that Terence, Lurrance and Terry are the same person?
I do not seem able to find another census 1881 entry for Terence.

Offline NicolaasMars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 June 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
Too hasty: in my previous mail read Larry for Terry in the last-but-one sentence.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 June 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, it does say Larry and born Ireland but I would say it is probably Terence.
Felix is living locally too as a boarder.