Author Topic: Will & Inventory of Thomas Holyer 1586 Nether Whitacre Warwick  (Read 4582 times)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
Will & Inventory of Thomas Holyer 1586 Nether Whitacre Warwick
« on: Sunday 19 June 16 19:36 BST (UK) »
Just started and already a problem & a question. This will has a latin title I can't make out. second word looks like mamves

secondly on the second line is a symbol I interpret as a missing letter. My question is it for a single letter only or can it mean multiple letters (I notice the symbol reappears several times throughout the will)

I transcibe "ordayne, co(n)stytute & make thys my"

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will & Inventory of Thomas Holyer 1586 Nether Whitacre Warwick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 16 01:13 BST (UK) »
I think the first word could be Emanuel, but I’m unsure of its purpose there. Is this a register will (court copy), or an original will?

The contraction mark that you’ve flagged up can indicate any number of letters omitted, but n and m are common. I agree with your transcription for the second clip.

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 16 03:09 BST (UK) »
Bookbox
Since there is no signatures on the will or inventory I would say a this is a court copy.

Thanks for the incite on the contraction mark. I was kind of hoping different marks had different meanings. Other marks in will are

Brian
People will not look forward to posterity, who never look backward to their ancestors. Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 16 03:45 BST (UK) »
Bookbox

I did a sample of wills found on Findmypast from the same period and place and found this. Well done sir.
Brian

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
In that case, it's likely to be part of the court's filing system -- either the name of the official who dealt with the probate, or the name of the quire in which the will was filed.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
I was kind of hoping different marks had different meanings.

They do have different meanings, but these can be quite wide-ranging, and dependent on the habits of individual clerks.

Generally, a contraction (as flagged up in your first post) or suspension indicates something missing in the middle of a word. A superscript letter at the end of a word shows something has been omitted immediately before it, e.g. yt = th(a)t, wch = wh(i)ch, wth = w(i)th.

In your last clip above, the superscript 'backwards 3' indicates -er, -or, -ur etc. As it's at the end of the line, I suspect it's the first half of the word appu(r)tenances, with the remainder appearing on the next line.

Some of the examples on this page might help ...
http://paleo.anglo-norman.org/empfram.html (from the menu on the left, select Contractions)

Offline okkool

• RootsChat Senior
  • Canadian by attitude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Bookbox  for great explanation and for the reference page ( I have added it to my bookmarked references)

I will leave the Emanuel out of the transcription.

Brian

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 16 15:58 BST (UK) »
Bookbox, it's interesting that the name John in Brian's cont 2.jpg extract bears a contraction mark. You may recall I had the same occur twice in a will from 1558 recently.

I wonder if should be transcribed as:  Joh[n]n  ?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 June 16 17:56 BST (UK) »
Bookbox, it's interesting that the name John in Brian's cont 2.jpg extract bears a contraction mark. You may recall I had the same occur twice in a will from 1558 recently.
I wonder if should be transcribed as:  Joh[n]n  ?

HD, yes, it's interesting, and I really don't know. I don't recall ever seeing Johnn spelled with two Ns in an English document of this period, though I know it's found in Scottish sources. I wonder if it could be some sort of hangover that reflects the double N in the Latin form Joannes?

In some cases, a contraction mark where nothing obvious has been omitted may be a flourish of penmanship. When transcribing, I tend to add a footnote acknowledging the mark and stating that its function is unclear. Admittedly that's a cop-out, but at least it alerts the reader to its presence, should anyone want to take another look!