Author Topic: Chadwick Bros. Mill 1910  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Amity Kiewa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chadwick Bros. Mill 1910
« on: Monday 20 June 16 00:47 BST (UK) »
Looking for information regarding Chadwick Bros Mill, where was it located, was it a woollen mill, years of operation.                                                                 
I have a photograph of employees of the mill with sign saying "Chadwick Bros. Ltd. Employees June 18th 1908" (Happy to share photo with anyone who has family who worked there at this time)
Especially looking for information on 3 of it's employees, Oliver Stansfield, Thomas Skirrow and John Fredrick Fenton who all worked at the mill and left in 1910 to immigrate with their families to Australia aboard the ship "Dorset", all 3 were employed by the Warrnambool Woollen Mill, Warrnambool,Victoria Australia.
Wanted information on their time at mill and up until they immigrated, was it newspaper newsworthy?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Chadwick Bros. Mill 1910
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 16 05:09 BST (UK) »

Hi, Welcome to Rootschat.

A quick 'Google' search brought up James Cadwick & Bros Ltd, Bolton, Lancashire, England.

The site was :- http://archiveshub.ac.uk/data/gb248ugd/199/26

Hope this gives you a start in your search.

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Offline Amity Kiewa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 16 06:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ian for taking the time to help me, your help is gratefully accepted.
Both Thomas Skirrow and Oliver Stansfield lived in Idle Yorkshire, would there be another Chadwick Bros Mill somewhere around Bradford or would it have been possible in 1908 for them to be working so far from home, Thomas Skirrow had children.
I'm from Australia so I'm unsure of distances, it just seems like a long way from Idle to Bolton.    Please enlighten me.

Offline pjs12

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 16 07:07 BST (UK) »

I doubt they would have travelled to Bolton from Idle to work, it is a long way, probably about 50 miles.
Now you have mentioned the area where the people came from I feel sure someone in the Bradford area will see your post and be able to help you.

Ian
Johnstone,Forgan,Barran,Elliott,Normington,Davies,Marshall,Longbottom,Rusby

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 16 08:24 BST (UK) »
There appears to be a number of Thomas Skirrow named persons living in Idle.
[Be aware there is an area near Idle called Bolton, a matter of 2miles away.]
Full details of your mill workers before they went to Australia can be found here:
www.calverleyinfo.com
 Brian
I would doubt that a group of Yorkshire wool workers would go to Lancashire to work in a 'cotton spinners' mill. There were @100 wool mills in Bradford, no shortage of work there.
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Amity Kiewa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 16 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ian and Brian, I'm very new to this; posting questions on a forum, I've done lots of research into the three men, I have all census, family, employment, immigration, living and death details, it's just the part of where they actually worked at, meaning which mills, most likely a woollen mill as they came to Australia to supervise the installation of machinery and oversee the operations of the newly created woollen mill in Warrnambool. The only clue I have to what mill they worked at while in England is the photograph, and the fact that the family says Oliver Stansfield always lived in Idle until he immigrated.
Bolton near Bradford is a possibility but whether they had a "Chadwick Bros." mill is a part of my query, I'm just lost as to what direction to take. Newspapers? Historical groups? People who specialize in mill history? I completely understand there were hundreds of textile mills, this is where my problem lies.
Thank you for making me feel welcome, my apologies if I haven't stated my aim more clearly.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 June 16 13:22 BST (UK) »
It's o'k, I know/new what you were after. :)
I just can't 'get my head round a wool worker from Yorkshire' going to Lancashire!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mills_in_Bolton
[Me and Ian are mates living in close proximity to each other]
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 June 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
I've found a few mentions in the newspaper about Chadwick Bros.  Their address was Perseverance Mills, Kirkstall Road in 1902.

In 1919 they were closed owing to the coal miners strike, but I can't find any mention of the company after that date.

If you send me a personal message with your email address I'll send you the articles.

Sandra