Author Topic: Grace Campbells children  (Read 5776 times)

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grace Campbells children
« Reply #36 on: Monday 01 April 19 07:36 BST (UK) »
bertha13
              He is certainly  the Rabbi Moses Rintel I mentioned in my post.  He  was one of the most
important figures in Australian Jewish history  in the 19th century.  Look him up on the internet,
especially on the Trove site.  I would be interested to know what is in your mothers papers,
especially if they mention the New Jerusalem settlement at  Wikippin.
                                                                                                      Peter

Offline bertha13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 01 April 19 08:56 BST (UK) »
My mother was Bertha Campbell, her mother was Grace Rintel married Major Johm Campbell23-3-1911.
I believe that Grace Rintels father was Simeon and her mother was Bertha
I am not sure I can tell you much more.

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 01 April 19 11:19 BST (UK) »
bertha 13
               You are totally correct in your belief.  As I suspected  your knowledge  is limited.
I have done extensive research into the Rintel family in NSW, Vic, England, Scotland  and
Poland. I will certainly share that knowledge with you.
                                                                                  Peter

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 07 April 19 04:28 BST (UK) »
Bertha13
                As promised here is more information on Simeon Rintels family line. There is a very good
website to look up. The site address is https://portphillippioneersgroup.org.au/pppg5io.htm. I can
expand on the information in there. The  Sydney Hebrew Academy  referred to in the text
was the first official Jewish school in Australia. 
Simeons grand father  Meir or Myer  Rintel was probably born in or around Krakow in Poland.
His age in the 1841 UK census would make his birth year 1785. His wife Sarah  died in
Rogozen , Prussia in 1869 , aged 85. He was a Hebrew author and Talmudic scholar who
was associated with the Dukes Place Synagogue in London. He went to Edinburgh Scotand
sometime around 1820. This has been confirmed by an email from the  Jewish archives
in Glasgow. By 1843 Moses Rintel was the Reader at the Brighton Synagogue where he lived
with his mother. A scandal concerning the death of a servant girl in their house ended his time
there. During his five years in Sydney he must have prospered. The newspaper account of his arrival in Melbourne says the he had 19 packets of  furniture in the hold of the Velocity.
He married  Elvina Hart in Melbourne on the 28th of August 1849. Her family with its roots
in the east end of  London where they had slop sellers or dealers in used clothing had been
in Melbourne since 1839. Her cousin Lazarus Hart had arrived in Sydney on the convict
transport York in Feburary of 1831. Her mother , Isabella Beheliah Levy was a direct descendent
of Raphael Moses Levy , one of the most important figures in early American Jewish history.
Her father John served at Trafalgar.
To the best of my knowledge only Simeon and  Walter  had  ongoing  lines of descendants.
Simeons uncle Hyam became involved  with a man known as the Nunnawading  Messiah.
You can look these people up on the internet, especially on the Trove website of the Australian
National Library. It makes fascinating and sometimes  funny reading.

Offline bertha13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 07 April 19 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thank You
My grandmother my mother and my sisters and I are definitely the direct descendants of Simeon.
There is certainly a lot of information to process.

Offline pwh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 08 April 19 04:19 BST (UK) »
bertha13
              My pleasure. In this post I will give you some of Elvinas family. Here are  Elvinas
siblings.
 Henri John Hart B 7/5/1820 New York   M Sarah Jane Rowland  (1836-1863) 21/9/1853
Philadelphia USA,  Sarah died in  Melbourne 1863. Henri died  at Garret St  Melbourne
29/4 /1884.  3 daughters, 1 son
Isabella Hart  B  New York  2/1/1827  M her cousin Edward Hart  27/3/1844 Melbourne
(first Jewish wedding in Victoria)  D 17/5/1910 Victoria  5 Daughters  3 sons
Louisa Hart  B 28/11/1829  New York M Samuel Debeer  20/12/1854  Dunedin NZ
D 19/12/1909  Melbourne  5 Daughters 2 sons.
Hyam Hart  B 25/6/1835 New York  M Ann Coxwell Forster ( 1842-1907) in Melbourne  1857
D 26/9/1876 Victoria. 5 daughters 4 sons
Rebecca Hart B 17/4/1841  London  M  Phillip Hayman  29/5/1861  Melbourne  D 22/6/1871
Birmingham England.  5 sons 1 daughter
Elizabeth Hart  B 26/4/1845 Melbourne M Joseph Fletcher Anderson  1866  Victoria  D 1897  VIC.
2 daughters
Father  John Hart  B 13/2/1789  London  D  23/1/1864  Melbourne
Elvina  Grand parents
Lazarus Hart  B  1743  D  London 20/1/1800  and  Rachel Hart, maiden name unknown, B 1752
D 17/9/1818 London. Last address  Peters Court  off  Cartwright St which ran off  Rosemary Lane,
now Royal Mint  Road.
I have much more on the Harts and their associated families.
                                                                                         Peter