Author Topic: Fraser Family of Canongate, Edinburgh  (Read 3222 times)

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Fraser Family of Canongate, Edinburgh
« on: Thursday 23 June 16 14:56 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Thank you for the wealth of information posted here.

I have been able to trace back to my 4th great grandmother Christian Fraser born about 1787 in Canongate, Edinburgh. Her father is Daniel Fraser listed as a marble cutter or laborer on Christian Fraser's marriage to John Taylor (West Yorkshire Militia) in 1807. I believe John Taylor was at the Edinburgh Castle garrison in 1806 and married Christian Fraser in 1807. Christian and John Taylor had at least one child Margaret (my 3rd g grandmother) who moved to Yorkshire.

I will be visiting Edinburgh from the States in September. I would be looking for more information about the Fraser Family. Possible grave site for Daniel Fraser? Name of his wife and Christian's mother?

Thank you very much for any guidance, Barbara Baxter

Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser Family of Canongate, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 16 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

There is a burial recorded at Canongate for a Margaret Bain, age 74, wife of Daniel Fraser, marble cutter, on 6th September 1825.  The address is given as Watson's Close and the cause of death is listed as 'dropsy.'

Daniel Fraser, late marble cutter, aged 84 of the Canongate Charity Workhouse, was buried on 7 Dec 1825.  Cause of death was 'decline.'

Canongate kirkyard is easy to visit, but it is possible that there is no headstone for Daniel.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 16 21:55 BST (UK) »
Watson's Close was on the south side of Canongate, between Chessels' Court and Old Playhouse Close - both of which still exist, but Watson's Close was no longer marked on the map by 1893.

This map is from 1852:
http://maps.nls.uk/view/74415485

Zoom in at the top, just left of centre.

Nell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 June 16 21:58 BST (UK) »
I think this might be Christian's birth:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTT7-JNY

Nell

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 June 16 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you Nell!

This is amazing! I will add this info to my tree on ancestry and see where it leads. It gets trickier the further back you go, doesn't it? It seems it gets harder and harder to make connections. It does get addictive though and learning so much!

For Christian Frazer's birth it says South Leith, Midlothian for her christening. Would it make sense that they are in Canongate later on? Also Fraser could be Frazer right? That happens quite often right?

I guess it would make sense to try and look for siblings to Christian Fraser and to Daniel Fraser? It seems the best way to look for more clues right?

Thank you so very much. I am first generation in the States. My father is from Glasgow and so far can trace back to John Baxter 1710, in West Lothian. Also on that side of family to 1600's to Mungo Brown in West Lothian.

Looking forward to visiting Edinburgh. Especially for the exhibition on the Celts at the National Museum. Will be sure to visit the Canongate church and graveyard.

Don't know how far back I can get with the Frasers but this is a huge help, Thank you, Barbara
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 June 16 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

South Leith is the neighbouring parish, so they may not have moved very far.  And you're right, I don't think that you should read anything into the different spellings of Fraser.

I looked for a marriage and other children of the same couple but couldn't find anything obvious.  I only used FamilySearch - I didn't check ScotlandsPeople at all.  But at least you have a rough date range for both Daniel and Margaret's birth/baptisms.

Nell

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Nell! This is a great help. I have been reading a bit and it is exciting to know that the Fraser's were living in Edinburgh the same time as Robert Burns!

Will continue and may buy some credits with ScotlandsPeople to see what I can find.

Thank you again, much appreciated, Barbara Baxter

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 June 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
There were lots of Baxters (including my own family) in the Bathgate area. You could try enquiring on the West Lothian (Linlithgowshire) Board.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 June 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ian. My cousin had done a lot of the work on our Baxter genealogy but still a lot to learn. Many of my Baxter ancestors were coal miners.

The different boards are invaluable and I will be sure to check into the Linlithgowshire board. Thank you very much, Barbara Baxter