Author Topic: Thomas GOODWIN (b abt 1829 Buxton) m Mary WOODWARD  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas GOODWIN (b abt 1829 Buxton) m Mary WOODWARD
« on: Sunday 26 June 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
I seek help tracing the ancestry of one Thomas GOODWIN because I have run out of ideas. Here is what I have...

1. Thomas GOODWIN's obituary, 4 November 4, 1904, has him 82 years, 6 months, 13 days, an age that does not tally with other, stronger evidence.  This obituary mentions that he was born in Buxton and that his first wife, Mary WOODWARD (and second wife Agnes JOHNSON). Agnes wrote the obituary. Thomas' memorial stone in Wynot, Nebraska has him 1829-1904.

2. Thomas sends a letter on 25 May 25 1857 from Hyde to Daniel Vernon (aka Brassington, 1827-1878, husband of Mary Ann GOODWIN, whose parents were John GOODWIN and his wife Mary MORTEN) in Wisconsin. Thomas asks for the whereabouts Daniel's friend, Henry MORTEN (1812-1892, husband of Sarah GOODWIN, whose parents were Anthony GOODWIN and his wife Elizabeth MILNES). Thomas also mentions that he and his brother John have thoughts of emigrating. Thomas did emigrate to the US in abt 1858.  He also writes that he is working at Wm Goodfellows iron works and John at Pickfords in Manchester.

3. Thomas' daughter, Mary Ann GOODWIN is christened 6 Jul 1856 at Hoviley Brow Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hyde. This christening entry has Thomas living on Hyde Lane, Hyde, a 'Labourer at Foundary' and the mother of Mary Ann being Mary Goodwin formerly WOODWARD. Mary Ann went with her parents to the US, appearing in the 1860 census.

4. Finally, the most important bit for tracing Thomas' ancestry, the marriage certificate 17 January 1853, Halifax St John the Baptist... Thomas GOODWIN labourer, bachelor aged 24 years, father George GOODWIN, farmer married Mary WOODWARD. There is no indication that his father is dead. The witnesses, John THOMAS and Leonard SHORTRIDGE do not help. I have traced his wife back to Chelmorton -christening 1 Aug 1824 at Chelmorton St John the Baptist, Mary daughter of Thomas and Mary WOODWARD .

I've done everything I can think of to trace Thomas' ancestry. Anyone got a bright idea?
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas GOODWIN (b abt 1829 Buxton) m Mary WOODWARD
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 23:23 BST (UK) »
How frustrating!

Do I have the following correct?

1. The 1857 letter suggests that Thomas Goodwin was connected in some way to Mary Ann (Goodwin) Vernon and Sarah (Goodwin) Morten, but no indication of how.

2. Mary Ann Goodwin arrived in USA in May 1949, with her parents (John and Mary) and various siblings, AND Sarah (Goodwin) Morten and her two kids.

3. The 1860 census has your Thomas Goodwin and family living next to Ralf Goodwin (brother to Mary Ann Vernon) and Henry and Sarah Morten.

4. Thomas Goodwin's father was George (according to marriage certificate) and he had a brother John.

5. ? John and Mary Goodwin were at Tideswell (Wormhill chapelry), Greatrox pasture, in 1841 - children's names match although ages are a bit off.

6. There is a farmer George Goodwin at Wormhill in 1841/51/61 but he only ever has children Joseph and Caroline with him (and wife Martha). And seems well enough set that there would be no reason for older boys to be sent off to work. So he seems unlikely.

Sorry, not much help! There are way too many Goodwins.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 23:55 BST (UK) »
1. The 1857 letter suggests that Thomas Goodwin was connected in some way to Mary Ann (Goodwin) Vernon and Sarah (Goodwin) Morten, but no indication of how. Correct - he wrote the letter to Mary Ann (Goodwin) Vernon's husband Daniel. I don't know how Daniel (whom I feel I know intimately!) would know Thomas other than through the Goodwins.

2. Mary Ann Goodwin arrived in USA in May 1949, with her parents (John and Mary) and various siblings, AND Sarah (Goodwin) Morten and her two kids. Correct - Daniel was illegitimate and there is tentative evidence that his father was a brother of Sarah (Goodwin) Morten's mother-in-law.

3. The 1860 census has your Thomas Goodwin and family living next to Ralf Goodwin (brother to Mary Ann Vernon) and Henry and Sarah Morten. Correct!

4. Thomas Goodwin's father was George (according to marriage certificate) and he had a brother John. Correct! and tentative evidence (working for Pickfords) would have these Goodwins originating in the area east of Buxton

5. ? John and Mary Goodwin were at Tideswell (Wormhill chapelry), Greatrox pasture, in 1841 - children's names match although ages are a bit off. Correct.

6. There is a farmer George Goodwin at Wormhill in 1841/51/61 but he only ever has children Joseph and Caroline with him (and wife Martha). And seems well enough set that there would be no reason for older boys to be sent off to work. So he seems unlikely. I agree, his dates are off.

Sorry, not much help! There are way too many Goodwins. I agree here too!!!
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 August 16 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wonder if this is him in the 1900 American census of Cedar Nebraska , he gives his date of birth as APRIL 1827 England (could narrow a possible baptism down for him), and that he emigrated 1857

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-678Q-T8P?i=2&wc=9B7Q-BZ8%3A1030896901%2C1032337701%2C1033323801%3Fcc%3D1325221&cc=1325221

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 August 16 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wonder if this is him in the 1900 American census of Cedar Nebraska , he gives his date of birth as APRIL 1827 England (could narrow a possible baptism down for him), and that he emigrated 1857

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-678Q-T8P?i=2&wc=9B7Q-BZ8%3A1030896901%2C1032337701%2C1033323801%3Fcc%3D1325221&cc=1325221

claire
[/quote

Yes, and would match the month in the obituary - which comes out to April 13th more-or-less. Perhaps the error was just in the year.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 August 16 11:54 BST (UK) »

I just can't find a baptism with father George, found a couple in the right timeframe and area but not correct parentage - checking both Anglican and NC registers :-\
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
Is this a possible thread to follow?

1. "1851 census: Thomas GOODWIN aged 21 years born Cow Dale, Farm Labourer in the home of John and Ann MELLAND in Monyash, HO107/2149/236/20." (From what I assume is a post by you elsewhere).

1841 census Monyash: Thomas Goodwin ages 10, MS in household John and Elizabeth Ashmore.

2. Brother John? Possibly a relative to William?

1841 census:
Buxton Distrct 2
William Goodwin 20 Y
Sarah ditto 25 Y
William ditto 2 Y
Ann ditto 3mo Y
John Goodwin 10 Y

1851 census:
Same family, moved to Manchester, and note birthplace for William

4 Murray Place
William Goodwin 31 carter Derbyshire Cowdale
Sarah ditto 36 Lancashire Manchester
William ditto 12 ditto
Ann ditto 10 ditto
Thomas ditto 7 ditto
George ditto 5 ditto
Joseph ditto 1 ditto

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
With a possible marriage:

Hope, Derbyshire 12 Dec 1838

Sarah Goodwin, father Richard Goodwin
William Goodwin, father Thomas Goodwin

::)

details from Freereg
Sarah Goodwin, spinster, Fairfield parish, servant, father Richard Goodwin, farmer
William Goodwin, bach (minor), farmer, Fairfield parish, father Thomas Goodwin, farmer (dec)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 August 16 19:49 BST (UK) »
That other Goodwin thread totally confused me for a minute :o :o

I'm at work but will get a better look later

:)