Author Topic: Owner of ships in 1840s and 1850s  (Read 4234 times)

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owner of ships in 1840s and 1850s
« on: Monday 27 June 16 20:43 BST (UK) »
I have been looking into the record of a sea captain, William C Thompson, who was born in Ireland but followed his father to America.  He eventually became captain of several ships, most of which carried mail between Liverpool and New York and sailed under the American flag. 

On his statement of service for his Master’s Certificate in 1857, he gave details of the various ships he had served on during his 40 years at sea, with the last two entries being:

Dec 1846 to  Dec 1852 (crossed out and 1853 added) :  Ship: "Sarah Sands"; Port of Liverpool;  Captain (7 years)
Oct 1854 to Aug 1857: Ship: "Pacific", Port of London; Captain (3 years)
(Note on record: These vessels are Iron Steamers built by me and I am the principal owner.)
---------
I have not been able to confirm the ownership of these two ships, except that there was an article in the “Liverpool Mercury” of 14 August 1846 which stated that the “Sarah Sands” was launched. In summary, it said - Owned by Messrs Thomas and Joseph Sands and Co.  Description.  Named after Mrs Sands.
---------
Both these ships did runs between Liverpool and New York, with each doing at least one trip to Australia, and both being fitted out to transport troops to the Crimea.

My question is:   How can I confirm the owner/s of these ships?

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Owner of ships in 1840s and 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 10:02 BST (UK) »
According to Lloyd's Register  July 1856 June 1857 Page 145

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-D8SAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:0Ftz6zT302-gFzEJxA5c6C#v=onepage&q&f=false

the Steam vessel PACIFIC was captained by Thompson and owned by Sydney and co London. It would not be unusual for the captain to be a partner in the vessel.

I am in a rush to get to the National Archive at the minute. If no one comes up with any answers, I will get back to you

See also http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha.php
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 10:09 BST (UK) »
There's a lenthy item on the launch of the Pacific in the London Daily News of 25 September 1854. Here is part of it:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 13:33 BST (UK) »
I am sure that one or more of the Maritime Museums  will have registers which you can look at.

You may have to make a personal visit though.

Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Is the 'C' for Campbell?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 15:09 BST (UK) »

Offline jeanlit

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 June 16 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone - it's going to take me a while to go through all the information which you have all provided links to.

So just briefly, a couple of things:

ShaunJ:  The article on the launch of the "Pacific" was most informative, thank you.  So does that mean it was virtually an enormous paddle-boat, with the big wheels on either side? Like the ones you see which were on the big rivers in USA?  I can't imagine going from England to Australia in one of those !

ScouseBoy:  The personal visit to one of the Maritime Museums is out for me - I'm in Australia.  I will try to contact them though.

I found the arrival of the "Pacific" to Sydney on 26 Feb 1855 on
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1855/02/088pac.htm

Jamjar:  The Master of this ship was William Corscaden Thompson (born in Londonderry in 1802) and I believe the Midshipman, William Thompson, aged 14 was his son, William Hyslop Thompson, born in Liverpool in 1840.   I've got a lot of information on W C Thompson so please don't worry about following him too much.

Now I'm off to follow the leads you all have sent me.  Thank you again.

Jean