Author Topic: Horse Hair Dresser!!!  (Read 2324 times)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Horse Hair Dresser!!!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 05 15:14 BST (UK) »
I still think the top order could have done a lot better.  HOwever nothing can be taken away from the way McGrath played

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 July 05 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Getting back to the horsehair.  26000 horses a year were slaughtered in London by the 1890s.  The horsehair from their tails was sent off to the horse-hair dealers and manufacturers for use as upholstery stuffing, fishing lines, sieves and weaving horsehair cloth.  The area of London you mentioned was one of the foremost areas for horsehair industry.

Yes, it is sad.  I've got two little Shetlands and it's not nice to think of them being chopped up and used.

Corkcutter
Ball(s), Mewett, Keegan, Stoner, Newman,
Thompson, Rolfe,Cullum, Bayley (Bailey)
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline Gaye

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 July 05 20:24 BST (UK) »

:'(  bits N pieces of horses - nothing wasted I'll bet

did people eat the meat back then?

:-*  awww lil Shetlands how cute
 mine are thoroughbreds...gallopers for the track!
but they have a lovely life here..

cheers,
GAYE
Bassano: (ALL areas)
Drake: London, Essex, Kent
Hawkins: Shoreditch, Hackney, Essex
Meaney: Co Cork - London
Morrison: Scotland-Canada-New Zealand

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 July 05 09:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Gaye,

I wonder who has the most meat - my fat Shetlands or your posh thoroughbreds!

People didn't officially eat horsemeat in those days (though I'm sure the really poor did. )   Within hours of getting the chop the carcasses were boiled up in huge vats and the meat skewered in small pieces for the cat and dog meat dealers to peddle round the streets.  In WW2 when meat was rationed, it was possible to get unrationed meat from "continental butchers) - well, horsemeat really.

Just to make sure nothing got wasted, the hooves and bits went for glue, the bones for buttons and to be crushed for oil for candles and lubrication, the hides were used in leatherwork and the shoes got removed and recycled.  Waste not want not as they say.  Yuk.

Cheryl
Ball(s), Mewett, Keegan, Stoner, Newman,
Thompson, Rolfe,Cullum, Bayley (Bailey)
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline ronald

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 July 05 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Gaye

Take a look at Lavenham in Suffolk.Most folk if not on the land as ag.labs. were in the horse hair trade.It was used for hats, mats and many other things.It was also a sideline for the straw plaiters a sort of out of season thing.