Author Topic: Can't find death date for Alexander Fraser  (Read 3462 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find death date for Alexander Fraser
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:37 BST (UK) »
Such a young age to die from what he did  :-\ He must have been in decline for a number of years.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:50 BST (UK) »
There is a Canadian arrival for an Alexander Fraser aged 49 on 22/4/1913 on the Cassandra. Glasgow to St John's. Occupation Salesman. That could be him.

I suppose he could have had a heart attack - or contracted some disease. Very sad though to travel all that way and die in a 'foreign' land.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:55 BST (UK) »
Just a thought...with the Canadian connection, could he have died abroad?

Have you got anything on the travel for son Andrew who married in Ontario in 1915? Is this your tree on a/try by chance? http://person.ancestry.co.uk/tree/72833988/person/46324184285/facts  This one has the 1913 death I think that you mention that with the details contained seem to indicate it is certainly not the one...

Monica

Good thought, but I don't know if that's possible. I haven't found any immigration / travel papers for Alexander & his brother Andrew coming into Canada, but I know they were here because of their Attestation Papers in 1915. Andrew lists his next of kin as Agnes Bayer (his wife) and Alexander as his mother, Jeanie Fraser, (his mom) 94 Hill St, Garnet Hill, Glasgow. If his dad had come over with them, and was still alive, I would think Alexander would have listed his next of kin as his father, not his mother in Scotland? Just a thought. I can't seem to find Alexander or Andrew in the 1911 Canada Census. So I'm thinking they came over between 1911-1914ish. Andrew married Agnes in Dec. 1914, so they would have had to been in Canada before that.

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 July 16 19:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry, didn't see your replies before I posted that last one, will look over everything now, wow, you guys are good!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:06 BST (UK) »

... I would think Alexander would have listed his next of kin as his father, not his mother in Scotland? Just a thought.

Standard practice to show mother as next of kin on enlistment papers in the UK at that time. Not sure if the same in Canada?  If father's details were given as N.O.K., normally meant that mother was deceased.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
Yes --- the family were in Hill St in 1911 although at a different number. You should have received the details of that in a personal message.

Oh my goodness -I hadn't seen that the death details were actually given on Family Search. How brilliant is that. Ignore my message re possible heart attack etc --- I was clearly having one of my many senior moments!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:29 BST (UK) »

... I would think Alexander would have listed his next of kin as his father, not his mother in Scotland? Just a thought.

Standard practice to show mother as next of kin on enlistment papers in the UK at that time. Not sure if the same in Canada?  If father's details were given as N.O.K., normally meant that mother was deceased.

Monica

How interesting, you would think that you would list your father if he was actually in the same country. They did things so proper back then. :)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 July 16 20:30 BST (UK) »
Wow, is that ever sad how he passed away, I wonder what the story is behind it all. If Alexander meant to just come for a visit, or if he meant to actually move here. And why would he leave behind his wife? So sad! But thank-you for solving yet another mystery in my family tree!

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 02 October 17 08:16 BST (UK) »
25 G_ _ _ _ _ _ _ Lane, Glasgow.
Garscube Lane.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.