Author Topic: RFC  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
RFC
« on: Friday 22 July 05 05:07 BST (UK) »
This is my Great-uncle - Arthur James Tricker who was born in London in 1892. He married in Kew in 1914. I know that he is in the uniform of the RFC but know nothing more. Is there anyone who can tell me what rank he might be - where he may have enlisted or where I could find out more about his service record. He survived WW1. I have looked for him in Documents Online but found nothing

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RFC
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 05 05:09 BST (UK) »
Just to say - first time I have managed an attachment to Rootschat ! Feeling a warm glow.

Paul E

« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 05 07:19 BST (UK) »
Emmeline - well done on the attachment!  Your glow is well-deserved.  Can't help you with the query, however! :(

Paul

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 05 10:05 BST (UK) »
Not much to add ... as there are no pilots wings on display I would say ground crew (mechanic/engineer) and the style of uniform would be pre - 1918

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks both PaulE & Falkryn for your replies. I have recently seen a picture of a Captain in  the RFC and his jacket was quite different - lapels, pocket size etc. However, I do know that Uncle Arthur flew the planes and spoke of eye-to-eye combat with the Hun.
Would still appreciate advice on where to track him down. Service records - enlistment etc.  Maybe there is someone on Rootschat with knowledge of military matters.
Your interest appreciated.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 05 10:43 BST (UK) »
If he flew he may have been a gunner .... many planes were double crewed with the pilot being the "chauffeur"

Records for the precursors of the RAF (the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service) are held at The National Archives, as are RAF records for service during the First World War.
Casualty enquiries - information about casualties is deemed to be personal and only enquiries in writing from or on behalf of next of kin can normally be considered.   
Casualty enquiries are dealt with by:

PMA(Casework) Casualty(RAF)
    Building 182
    RAF Personnel Management Agency
    RAF Innsworth
    Gloucester
    GL3 1EZ

and:

Air Historical Branch(RAF)
    Building 266
    RAF Bentley Priory
    Stanmore
    Middlesex
    HA7 3HH

Air Historical Branch(RAF) also maintain historical records relating to individual aircraft.

Records of the Air Ministry and related bodies (departmental code AIR ); also operational records of the Royal Air Force and the Royal Flying Corps. Details of officers serving in the Royal Naval Air Service 1914-1918 are found under series ADM 273 . Records of the Fleet Air Arm are located under series ADM 207  and AIR 50 . Records of the Army Air Corps are found at WO 295 . Records of the Ministry of Aircraft Production, including the RAF Establishment, are located under departmental code AVIA .

See the Catalogue (www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk) for further information especially under the department code AIR . There are information leaflets describing sources relevant to the history of the Royal Air Force and for researching service personnel. These can be searched or browsed from the guided search button.

See also the PRO Readers' Guide No 8 RAF Records in the PRO (1994).

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 05 10:46 BST (UK) »
have a look at http://www.diggerhistory.info/images/uniforms2/rfc-uniforms.jpg which shows the different uniforms from 1912 onwards.

Offline hughar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 05 17:07 BST (UK) »
If he was in the service when he married in 1914 his marriage certificate should show his rank, and perhaps his service number.

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
Have you tried posting on the Armed Forces board, you may get someone on there that can help you.
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.