Author Topic: "At the end of February, FriendsReunited sadly closed down."  (Read 2237 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook is the future then
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 July 16 23:49 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

I have never used social media but i'm beginning to think I will have to. More and more groups, some of whom I belong to, now have FB or similar to pass notices etc around members rather than e-mail.

Here's a list of most of them; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_social_networking_websites

The 15 most popular are; http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/social-networking-websites

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 July 16 01:59 BST (UK) »
If Facebook is the future, I'll stay in the past, thank you.

Guyana,

I have had more genuine "hits/hints" on FB than I ever had with any other site regarding Genealogy!!!

I have found many descendants of my Ancestors by sending a message if I think there is a strong likelihood of a connection & I can send a Gedcom or Report for them to peruse & get back to me which is actually more personal than going through A/cestry etc.

It's FREE & great for connections!!!

I have found people who were not really "into" Genealogy, taking an interest for the simple reason it is FREE & on a 1-to-1 too  :P

You don't need to reveal anything by PM which is a function on FB too & I am not "Friends" with most of my contacts.......it is purely PM for Genealogical purposes  ;)

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 July 16 07:05 BST (UK) »

I use FB to keep in touch with relatives and I belong to a few genealogy groups and they have been useful in finding information.   A cousin that I didn't know I had found me that way.... :D :D

As has been mentioned, it's up to you how much information you want to reveal.  ;)

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline starcat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "At the end of February, FriendsReunited sadly closed down."
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
I joined Friends Reunited many years ago, it was free, it worked realy well, I found some old school friends &  old school photos, but at some stage they totally changed the format of the entire site & it just was not the same & didnt work very well & I stopped visiting, I didnt even know they had started charging for membership, im not surprised it didnt last.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 July 16 12:39 BST (UK) »
I use Facebook with privacy settings for friends and family only.  It's great to connect with overseas families and friends.  I don't have zillions of "friends" like the young ones, and those that I do have are all personally known to me.  It's great to keep up with each other's news, and certainly saves a lot of emails as well.

I also belong to the Quebec Family History closed group on Facebook. A volunteer on there took photos of several of my family graves in the Mount Royal Cemetery for a small donation.   I had originally had a Findagrave request in for about 3 years, had given them the detailed grave plot locations, but never had a result from there.  Not only did this kind volunteer take photos of the graves, headstones etc, she also took extra photos of the surrounding areas, and also provided me with a transcription from a couple of the graves that were quite badly eroded. 

It's a closed group, and one has to apply to join, but that wasn't an issue.  But it's been very helpful to me.  I believe there are more groups like that in different places in the World, but that's the only one I'm in.

I used to belong to one here in NZ called Old Friends, I think maybe it was an offshoot of Friends Reunited, with schools, works places, areas etc.  That was free too, and contact was made with quite a good number of old friends and workmates. We had some great meet-ups too.

I think a lot of people were disappointed when that closed down, but Facebook has more appeal I think, especially for the youngsters, with being able to connect with more people around the world.  But I do think they need to be a little more careful with some of the content they post!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 July 16 12:54 BST (UK) »
I also use face book with private settings for family & friends don't give out much information where I live or date of birth ...I find it good for keeping in touch with family in N Z and Aust;.saves talking on the phone  ;D ;D
Rosie

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 July 16 13:08 BST (UK) »
My real name isn't on there either, a user name (as on here) but a different made up one!

So many use their real names so they can be found I suppose, but I prefer not to! I don't mind if some certain people don't find me  ;D ;D
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 July 16 13:29 BST (UK) »
I joined Friends Reunited many years ago, it was free, it worked realy well, I found some old school friends &  old school photos, but at some stage they totally changed the format of the entire site & it just was not the same & didnt work very well & I stopped visiting, I didnt even know they had started charging for membership, im not surprised it didnt last.

Ditto.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 July 16 17:04 BST (UK) »

Ditto.

Ditto again.  When I first joined, I found all sorts of old friends and reconnected on a visit to the UK from Canada (where we were living at the time) with several of them.  One was my "bestest  friend" from childhood; I had lost touch as I had lost my address book on one move between postings (Himself was in the RAF).  On return from our foreign posting, I tried finding the place where they had lived but couldn't.  Forty years on, because of FR, we met up again - twice in fact.  I am so thankful that we did, as she died suddenly 10 years ago.  I also 'belonged' to the book lovers group when strangers from all over the world discussed books; we occasionally agreed to read a specific book and then comment on it at a preset date 4 weeks from choice of book...what fun!  As far as I am concerned, FR rebuilt a memory of happy times as a child.  Now we have returned to the UK permanently, I have met up with some of these people a couple of times - and I'll always be grateful to the people who set it up.
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee