Author Topic: help with uniform (WWI?)  (Read 6603 times)

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help with uniform (WWI?)
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 09 July 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
Not convinced he's from a mounted Regt. The "crop" might be a baton.
ASC usually had a lanyard over the left shoulder.
.    The ASC had horse transport
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 10 July 16 00:29 BST (UK) »
There is something not quite right about the "mount" postcard. I think it may be a postcard showing all the services...navy, army and air (at least I think that is supposed to be a bi-plane on the right)

The cutout looks a bit strange the way it is cut around the plane... and I wonder if it was just an ordinary postcard with something in the centre that someone in the family has cut out to make it into a mount.

There are lots of examples of "united we stand" postcards if you google including this one which looks to have been produced with a photo of high ranking officer in middle.  My guess is the person has cut out the official picture and put their own in its place.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01hyp/

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 10 July 16 01:12 BST (UK) »
It is a professionally taken picture possibly at the end of his training period.
The mount is obviously predominantly Naval & the inclusion of the Japanese flag appears to confirm it with the RFC & RA snippets stuck on.
So was this taken at or near a Naval base ?

Thanks Jim. If the photo was taken at a training base, that probably explains the building in the background. :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 10 July 16 01:33 BST (UK) »
The cutout does look odd, but I think it has been done commercially. The oval shape would be very difficult to cut out with a pair of household scissors - this looks nice and even. Presumably the bits around the plane would have been less detailed to make them stronger when cut out?  :-\

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 10 July 16 15:41 BST (UK) »
It's that plane thing that I think makes it unlikely to be a mount. Seems odd to have been designed with a mount that has something sticking out over the photo. But as an overlay on a picture montage thing it would. Razor blade to cut it out?

Either way it doesn't help identify the photo - I just thought it interesting 

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 10 July 16 15:44 BST (UK) »
My family has a photo of Uncle Ralph Barron and we can't seem to find any military information about him on Ancestry. I'm assuming it's more likely to be first world war than second because of the flags but his uniform for me isn't giving anything away so I would just like to share and see if anyone has any ideas.

Sadly all that is written on the back is "Poor Uncle Ralph". We also have no idea why it says that, we don't know if he died in the war or was injured because our research is coming up with nothing.

Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated.
have you tried to remove the photo from its mounting?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 10 July 16 15:49 BST (UK) »
have you tried to remove the photo from its mounting?

Please read replies #5 and #6.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 10 July 16 16:19 BST (UK) »
I looks like a template is used then the soldier's photo is turned into a postcard:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/United-to-Conquer-WWI-First-World-War-Postcard-/391461498498

Same template...different soldier.

As a postcard collector...I have seen many variations of these.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 10 July 16 16:33 BST (UK) »
I looks like a template is used then the soldier's photo is turned into a postcard:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/United-to-Conquer-WWI-First-World-War-Postcard-/391461498498

Same template...different soldier.

As a postcard collector...I have seen many variations of these.

Carol

Possibly stood outside of the same building looking at that.  :)

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands