Author Topic: William Arthur Pay Lived in SA from 1880-1998 and from 1901-1902  (Read 9625 times)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: William Arthur Pay Lived in SA from 1880-1998 and from 1901-1902
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 30 May 19 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin

Re the William James PAY born in Deal in Kent.

Don't believe this can be your William J.

In Rosie99's post #22, she has followed him up for you.

"The William James Pay who you have born in Deal Kent
Baptised 23 Oct 1833 at Deal parents James & Mary

In 1851 he is living with his parents and his occupation is twine spinner.

In 1861 - RG9/ Piece 482 Folio 42 page 40 living at Chatham age 28 occ Rope Maker with wife Hester age 27 born Suffolk"

Rosie goes on to say in #23 that this William James is not with 'wife' Hester in the 1871, but given the change in occupation, it seems unlikely that he is the barman (and associated occupations) on William Arthur (and the other children)'s birth certificates.

As I said in a recent post, the death in 1874 cannot be him as it is a child.  A death could also be registered as simply William (no middle name mentioned), so difficult to track down with certainty.

Ada Emily Pay and her family George Pay and Mary (Smith) Pay

Rosie99 in #19 has found Ada with her father George and mother Mary (Smith) Pay in the 1851, with siblings George and Ellen (and presumably mother Mary's nephew Edward Smith).  There was another daughter Emily, who possibly died and I have not as yet found her death ref.

I agree that Ada is a servant in the 1861 in the other census Rosie quotes.

This makes it clear that Ada is in fact a PAY, and casts doubt on whether William James was also a PAY.

Rosie also found in reply #26 a further link between Ada and her children and the Pay family in that in the 1854 at the baptism of Ada's sister Ellen, the Pay family are at 2 Browns Court in Marylebone.  This is the address for Ada and her own family in the 1881 where she's shown with the children but widowed.

going back to the history of George Pay

I have tracked down Ada's father George Pay, who comes from a small place in Sussex called Funtington.  He is (I believe) the son of Edward Pay and Amelia (Trusler) Pay, and was born c 1814-17 in Funtington.

He appears in two censuses, the 1841 and the 1851, and there is also a baptism in Funtington in Dec 1814.
He marries Mary Smith in 1836 in St Pancras Parish Chapel (both sign their name).

Whilst Mary (Smith) Pay appears in the 1861 census with her 'nephew' Edward/Edwin Smith, shown as married, occupation 'coachman's wife', I cannot as yet see George Pay who is presumably working away from home.  He does not appear to be with any of his siblings.

I can at present not see either George Pay or Mary (Smith) Pay in later censuses.

Next steps if you want to take them...

Rosie has asked if you have the birth certificates for any of the Maling children which would give addresses.

I have been looking for 'barmen' in the 1871 census called William James or William, in the rough locality of Ada's address at the time, or in Marylebone.  This produces a number of possibilities but all would need tracking down in the 1861 and after 1871 and is a long task as well as highly speculative.

Have you taken a DNA test?  This is likely to be the only way you will find out who the William James could be, the father of your ancestor William Arthur - because it seems very likely that the PAY surname came from Ada.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline genealogiepay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 21 June 19 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin

Re the William James PAY born in Deal in Kent.

Don't believe this can be your William J.

In Rosie99's post #22, she has followed him up for you.

"The William James Pay who you have born in Deal Kent
Baptised 23 Oct 1833 at Deal parents James & Mary

In 1851 he is living with his parents and his occupation is twine spinner.

In 1861 - RG9/ Piece 482 Folio 42 page 40 living at Chatham age 28 occ Rope Maker with wife Hester age 27 born Suffolk"

Rosie goes on to say in #23 that this William James is not with 'wife' Hester in the 1871, but given the change in occupation, it seems unlikely that he is the barman (and associated occupations) on William Arthur (and the other children)'s birth certificates.

As I said in a recent post, the death in 1874 cannot be him as it is a child.  A death could also be registered as simply William (no middle name mentioned), so difficult to track down with certainty.

Ada Emily Pay and her family George Pay and Mary (Smith) Pay

Rosie99 in #19 has found Ada with her father George and mother Mary (Smith) Pay in the 1851, with siblings George and Ellen (and presumably mother Mary's nephew Edward Smith).  There was another daughter Emily, who possibly died and I have not as yet found her death ref.

I agree that Ada is a servant in the 1861 in the other census Rosie quotes.

This makes it clear that Ada is in fact a PAY, and casts doubt on whether William James was also a PAY.

Rosie also found in reply #26 a further link between Ada and her children and the Pay family in that in the 1854 at the baptism of Ada's sister Ellen, the Pay family are at 2 Browns Court in Marylebone.  This is the address for Ada and her own family in the 1881 where she's shown with the children but widowed.

going back to the history of George Pay

I have tracked down Ada's father George Pay, who comes from a small place in Sussex called Funtington.  He is (I believe) the son of Edward Pay and Amelia (Trusler) Pay, and was born c 1814-17 in Funtington.

He appears in two censuses, the 1841 and the 1851, and there is also a baptism in Funtington in Dec 1814.
He marries Mary Smith in 1836 in St Pancras Parish Chapel (both sign their name).

Whilst Mary (Smith) Pay appears in the 1861 census with her 'nephew' Edward/Edwin Smith, shown as married, occupation 'coachman's wife', I cannot as yet see George Pay who is presumably working away from home.  He does not appear to be with any of his siblings.

I can at present not see either George Pay or Mary (Smith) Pay in later censuses.

Next steps if you want to take them...

Rosie has asked if you have the birth certificates for any of the Maling children which would give addresses.

I have been looking for 'barmen' in the 1871 census called William James or William, in the rough locality of Ada's address at the time, or in Marylebone.  This produces a number of possibilities but all would need tracking down in the 1861 and after 1871 and is a long task as well as highly speculative.

Have you taken a DNA test?  This is likely to be the only way you will find out who the William James could be, the father of your ancestor William Arthur - because it seems very likely that the PAY surname came from Ada.

A big thank you for IgorStav and Rosie:-)
Edward's parents were Thomas Pay from Funtington and Mary Matthews.
Can Rosie give more details about Alfred Pays letter in the Loyds Weekly in 1897. It's still hard to pinpoint when brother Arthur left England to South Africa (I suspect a family member & the gold and diamond rush?)

Offline genealogiepay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 21 June 19 22:03 BST (UK) »
1871 Census:  Browns Court is within London/St Marylebone/St Mary - District 13
But George and Mary Pay are not there at number 2 or any other number in the street so far as I can see.

Have not as yet found Browns Court in the 1861 - doesn't seem to be within London/St Marylebone/St Mary - although I have been wandering round an area of London which actually I know quite well, albeit in more recent times!

And no, I cannot find either George and Mary after their 1851 appearance, or indeed Ada and George Maling after the 1891 census.
Around 1880 and 1900 names of streets were renamed (i.e. Allington street became Arneway street.  I did visit the area quite recently too. Haven't found any Brown's Court yet either;-(

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 22 June 19 11:28 BST (UK) »
The only proof I have that WA Pay was in South Africa for 20 years was a letter from his brother Alfred in the LLoyds Weekly that he was looking for his mother Mrs Maling, his sisters Ada and Florence and his brother Arthur, a mining engineer, who was in SA for 20 years and last wrote from Prince Edward Gold fields. This as during the Boer War.
That request appeared in Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper 04 July 1897 and states his mother lived in Cornwall Road, Notting Hill 8 years ago.  It also says his brother joined the Mounted Police in S. Africa about either 15 or 18 years ago (copy is poor)

Sorry, I am not able to get a copy of this for you.  You should be able to get a copy from FindMyPast or the British newspaper Archives website
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline genealogiepay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 22 June 19 11:55 BST (UK) »
The only proof I have that WA Pay was in South Africa for 20 years was a letter from his brother Alfred in the LLoyds Weekly that he was looking for his mother Mrs Maling, his sisters Ada and Florence and his brother Arthur, a mining engineer, who was in SA for 20 years and last wrote from Prince Edward Gold fields. This as during the Boer War.
That request appeared in Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper 04 July 1897 and states his mother lived in Cornwall Road, Notting Hill 8 years ago.  It also says his brother joined the Mounted Police in S. Africa about either 15 or 18 years ago (copy is poor)

Sorry, I am not able to get a copy of this for you.  You should be able to get a copy from FindMyPast or the British newspaper Archives website

Found the article on Findmypast. Around 15 years ago (1882) Arthur went to SA to join the Mounted Police.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Saturday 22 June 19 12:00 BST (UK) »
A big thank you for IgorStav and Rosie:-)
Edward's parents were Thomas Pay from Funtington and Mary Matthews.
Can Rosie give more details about Alfred Pays letter in the Loyds Weekly in 1897. It's still hard to pinpoint when brother Arthur left England to South Africa (I suspect a family member & the gold and diamond rush?)

I was replying to your request from yesterday asking me for more details from the article

Offline genealogiepay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 14 February 20 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Greetings,

New info taught me that I descend via WA Pay, AE Pay, George, Edward to a  Thomas who married Mary Matthews in Funtington Sussex.  They both seem to have been born in Margate Kent around 1662, according to several public trees on Ancestry and Myheritage. This would lead back via several Isaac's and Thomas"to a Roger Pay/Paine/Pey in born around 1592 (Canterbury) who married a charming Ann Wynne in London.
Anyone got any info on this adventurous flock?

Rgds,
Robin

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 14 February 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thomas who married Mary Matthews in Funtington Sussex.  They both seem to have been born in Margate Kent around 1662, according to several public trees on Ancestry and Myheritage.

The marriage between Thomas Pay & Mary Mathews was in Funtington in 1782.  Did you mean to post that they were born in 1762 rather than 1662   :-\

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QQ-8QNK

I would be looking closer to Funtington for a baptism of Thomas & Mary than Margate (approx 130 miles apart).   There is a Thomas Pay in Harting that could fit but would need researching further and that is only 10 miles from Funtington.

Offline genealogiepay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 10 March 20 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Family Search has 25 possible Thomas Pay's from Sussex born in the 1760's. It wouldn't surprise me if his name is written as eg. Thos and Pain or Payne.
Which T.P. from Harting are you referring to?
Thanx.