Author Topic: The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 10239 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer
« on: Monday 11 July 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
I am interested in family history and I am hoping people on this site might be able to help fill in the gaps in my father-in-law’s war time history and that this might produce clues to his earlier life. I have tried the various birth, death and marriage records without success. I have also tried the Military records here in the UK again without success.  More details f his later life can be found here:
                  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751899.0

Here are the known details
Full Name Dominic Michael Stringer
Born 14.04.1919 or 1922 Eire
Father John Patrick Stringer (taken from marriage certificate)
Mother Unkown

All other information we have about him is at present purely heresay.
He was brought up byhis grandmother in or near Maryhill, Glasgow and may have had a sibling known as “Jack”.  His mother died at birth and BM may have been one of twins and apparently his father did not have much time for him.  Finally, he may have had some trouble with the authorities  and skipped out of Glasgow in a hurry to avoid the consequences.  This was not unusual as he had a habit of defying authority throughout his life and in the the War years he was involved in at least one Naval Court.

Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: The Missing Man.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 16 15:26 BST (UK) »
Reply incorrect so removed - sorry!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 16 15:31 BST (UK) »
Do you have any information on his grandmother? Paternal - maternal? Name? Date and place of death? Informant of death?  Did he marry in Scotland? If so, what was his address at the time of marriage?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 16 16:52 BST (UK) »
I am interested in family history and I am hoping people on this site might be able to help fill in the gaps in my father-in-law’s war time history and that this might produce clues to his earlier life.

Here are the known details
Full Name Dominic Michael Stringer
Born 14.04.1919 or 1922 Eire - I can see his death record in 1986 showing the 1919 date; why do you think that it could be 1922 instead? and why Ireland as there is no obvious birth of this name

Father John Patrick Stringer (taken from marriage certificate) - what year was this? and where? Where was John Patrick possibly born and or married?
Mother Unknown

All other information we have about him is at present purely heresay.

He was brought up by his grandmother in or near Maryhill, Glasgow
This presumably was his paternal GM or you would have more information?!

may have had a sibling known as “Jack”.

His mother died at birth and BM may have been one of twins and apparently his father did not have much time for him. 
Have you searched for a female death in 1919 or 1922 to locate his mother?
Possibly with the twin's death also

Finally, he Is this Dominic or his father? excusing my confusion may have had some trouble with the authorities  and skipped out of Glasgow in a hurry to avoid the consequences.  This was not unusual as he had a habit of defying authority throughout his life and in the the War years he was involved in at least one Naval Court.

Thinking through these pieces of information may guide you in the correct direction
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 July 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Do you have any information on his grandmother? Paternal - maternal? Name? Date and place of death? Informant of death?  Did he marry in Scotland? If so, what was his address at the time of marriage?

Hi Lodger,

Sorry, literally what you see in that post is almost the complete story. I have no information on the grandmother  on either side.I realise on rereading I missed a couple of snips of information I have no other information to speak of except Dominic Michael married on 30th January 1943 in Bridgetown, Barbados and he died in London November 1986.  The informant of his death was the woman he was living with at the time.

After the war he was nagged into returning to Scotland by his wife and mother in law.  This would be about  1954-56. He returned to say that his father and other were both dead.  One had died in the last year or so and the other considerably earlier.  Unfortunately we cannot remember which died first. 

He was quite a character, full of contradictions and did not suffer fools gladly which often got him into trouble in his war service and later years.  He was brought up a Roman Catholic yet supported Rangers.  He was also strongly into boxing and knew several famous Glaswegian boxers of the time.   lots of background information but nothing that furthers my search.
Deavin London and France

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 16 19:12 BST (UK) »
Did he return to Glasgow specifically or just somewhere in Scotland?

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 July 16 19:18 BST (UK) »
If you are sure about those dates I don't see any like corresponding death in Glasgow.

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 July 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
If you are sure about those dates I don't see any like corresponding death in Glasgow.

Yes,he returned t Glasgow and met a number of people he knew - apparently.

I know-neither do I.  We think it may be that he was brought up by maternal grandmother and took her surname.  In which case we might never find out.  One interesting thing in the Scottish records though that does make me wonder is that a "Janet Patrick Stringer" who died in 1950 in Glasgow - is that the grandmother and as he claims his father hated him did he just change Janet to John on the marriage certificate.  Sadly, as far as I can tell Janet never had children and so another potential line of enquiry dies....
Deavin London and France

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 July 16 19:25 BST (UK) »
Trying to help here, along with everyone else who has contributed over time.

Daisy, you have a number of posts here already over the last couple of  years. Not sure if you have followed up the various suggestions and ideas from people so far?

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=697269.0
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751899.0
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703612.0

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk