Author Topic: The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 10238 times)

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Missing Man. Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
Well no birth is one thing but no likely deaths when he's told you that they happened seems too much of a coincidence.

Have you got his death certificate? If not I would get it, the person who registered it knew his birthdate he may have let slip additional information.

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 07:51 BST (UK) »
Well no birth is one thing but no likely deaths when he's told you that they happened seems too much of a coincidence.

Have you got his death certificate? If not I would get it, the person who registered it knew his birthdate he may have let slip additional information.

Hi Amelia,

The death certificate gives only his name, date of birth and date and place of death.  So no additional help from there.  Sorry - I think you are starting to see how frustrating this has been for us!
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 08:00 BST (UK) »
Fair enough, I had asked a couple of times already though and you hadn't said so I wondered if you hadn't! I think the reason you have posted many times already and not had masses of response and someone like me ebbing in with a low post count is that it's difficult -there's not only no easy answer there is not necessarily a difficult one to be obtained either.
I will keep looking.

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 11:37 BST (UK) »
Fair enough, I had asked a couple of times already though and you hadn't said so I wondered if you hadn't! I think the reason you have posted many times already and not had masses of response and someone like me ebbing in with a low post count is that it's difficult -there's not only no easy answer there is not necessarily a difficult one to be obtained either.
I will keep looking.
Hi Amelia,

My very old laptop throws fits occasionally and hides emails for a week or so before I see them!  So I do not always get to see every reply which is frustrating.  Later this month, I am having a major op and am likely to be bed/chair bound forserveral weeks - this will be a fine opportunity for me to search all my ramblings on the net, collate, catalogue and reference any suggestions and webpages offered and rationalise all other information.  Then  come the autumn with no kids at home to look after (both will be at Uni) I am hoping to blitz my way through all the questions that my consolidation of files will undoubtedly raise. 

Thanks again Amelia and to everyone for all your efforts!
Deavin London and France

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 12:53 BST (UK) »
Just a thought here

If his army record states a date of birth and place of birth could the records also have a copy of a birth or baptism certificate from the time he joined up?
He probably just filled in a form but even still...?
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 13:01 BST (UK) »
Just a thought here

If his army record states a date of birth and place of birth could the records also have a copy of a birth or baptism certificate from the time he joined up?
He probably just filled in a form but even still...?

Thanks Myluck - unfortunately although we know he served we have no idea if it was with Army. RN or Airforce!!  Without a service number or unit the British Recordsare closed to us.
Deavin London and France

Offline mclachlan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 14 July 16 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy,
My apologies if you already have this information (didn't have time to go through your other links) but found this on Ancestry.

UK Incoming Passenger Lists 1878-1960
Travelling on Conveyance Orders
Port of Embarkation: Port Said
Name: Dominic Stringer
Birth: Abt 1919
Port of Departure: Bombay India
Ship: Monarch of Bermuda
Date of Arrival: 10 July 1945
Proposed Address in UK: C/O M.N. Pool, Liverpool
Profession/Occupation: Engineer
Country of last Permanent Residence: England

Hope this helps!
Andrea
McLachlan, Glasgow, Martin, Menzies

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 14 July 16 10:35 BST (UK) »
Married Donald Robert  Springall, he was still alive. Albert Road.

Mmmm......Just a thought.....

Could Dominic have been born simply as Michael but when in trouble maybe assumed a forename derived from Donald to Dominic....seems feasible  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Meelystar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 14 July 16 12:59 BST (UK) »
I've been accessing irish records on family search. Do the ones on find my past cross reference so you can see all potential spouses like on freebmd? That's a major problem with this search isn't it.

Annie - Dominic is a relatively unusual name so there are not a huge amount of births however I agree that he could be under a slightly different variant. I think all Dominic/Dominick Michael/Michael D etc births need to be cross referenced with with Stringer marriages.  Big job.

My view on Janet Patrick Springall is that she is probably a red herring as Grandmother was not mentioned as having died recently. There are other female Stringer deaths in Glasgow at an earlier date that might make more sense to look at. Il post a list (there aren't many)

Daisy I posted about my own Great Grandfathers war service records yesterday. I do not have any other details other than dob and name. However you can ask them to search on that it's £30 a time so I would definitely give that a go. If you click on the army form you will see
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/overview