Author Topic: Andreus Zyzik family quandries (Old German)  (Read 549 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andreus Zyzik family quandries (Old German)
« on: Monday 11 July 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have a couple of quandaries regarding Andreus Zyzik and his family. He married a Maria Ziaja (date unknown), but searching through Tworog records they produced 3 children Valentin (1817), Francisca (1826) and Susanna (1828). I am hoping translations of the attached may shed some light on things.

My first quandary is why there is a 9 year gap between their first and second child. I have attached the birth entries for Valentin and Francisca in the hope they may provide some clues.

My second quandary is regarding Maria's death. I have found the death entry for Andreus (attached) in 1840, but have been unable to find the death record for Maria. There are no more children after 1828 therefore she may have died sometime between 1828 and 1839, but I am unable to check as these death records are not on-line. She is mentioned in the death entry for Andreus, which usually indicates she was alive at the time, but I am wondering if Anreus's death entry indicates if she was alive or dead at the time?

Kind Regards

Roy

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Andreus Zyzik family quandries (Old German)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 13:50 BST (UK) »
Roy,

The baby boy, Walentin, of the Gärthner Andreas Zizik and his wife Maria born Zaia, born at 6:00am on 13th, has been baptised.

The daughter, Francisca, of the ? Gärthner Andreas Zyzik and his wife Maria born Ziaja, born yesterday at 1:00am,  has been baptised by the pastor ....

Marianna ? Ziaja, aged 49, wife of the ? Gärthner Andreas Zyzik, who died of a stitch [Seitenstechen] on the 26th, was buried.

These don't explain the large gap between children. Maybe other children were baptised elsewhere. Did Maria/Marianna Ziaja come from Tworog?

Justin

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Justin. I am amazed that you are able to read these at all, as I can't even work out the spelling of individual words. Shame that this time it doesn’t shed any further light on the quandaries but sometimes you get lucky with these things.

As you suggest them moving away from Tworog and then back again seems the most likely reason. I did think Andreus being conscripted into the Prussian army for part of this period could be a possibile explanation (as happened to another relative) for some of the gap, but there doesn’t’t seem to be have been any particular Prussian offensives during this period and it would have been a long conscription!

Hopefully if/when Tworog marriage details come on-line I will have a better idea of where Maria came from. As Andreus and Marianna's marriage entry should give her age, father's name and where she was originally from.

There was a large concentration of Ziajas from Tworog and the surrounding areas including several Maria/Mariannas born around there, but no way of identifying which, if any, were her. Andreus's death entry implies she was still alive in 1840, but haven't been able to obviously spot a death entry for her after 1840. Not helped by the fact that she could have well got remarried and later death entries are poor in that they don't always give the wife's maiden name.

I have not come across someone dying of a stitch before, but I suspect the "stitch" was something much more serious like acute appendicitis.

Regards

Roy

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 19:48 BST (UK) »
Roy,

'Death by stitch' is bit extreme, I agree. It appears to have been pneumonia, or maybe pleurisy combined with pneumonia.

One point to clarify; the death entry is for Marianna Zyzik born Ziaja!! You need to find the death record for Andreas.

Justin

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 20:13 BST (UK) »
Ahh!!! Shows how easy it it is to get things wrong if you have no understanding of the text! When I first read your translation I thought I was reading it wrong and defaulted to it being Andreus's death entry as he is the first person mentioned in the on-line entry. I can find no record of his death after 1840, therefore maybe he died 1828-1839 which would possibly explain why there are no more children after 1828.

There is a Marianna born in Tworog 1792 which would fit her age at death, but would need the marriage entry to confirm her father

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 July 16 20:41 BST (UK) »
Seitenstechen appears to have been pneumonia or pleurisy with pneumonia.

Mr Zyzik was AndreAs, not AndreUs.

A birth in Tworog in 1792 does seem like a good possibility.