Author Topic: London -late 1600's to mid 1700's Baptist congregations  (Read 1202 times)

Offline SantaT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
London -late 1600's to mid 1700's Baptist congregations
« on: Wednesday 13 July 16 01:57 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a man who died in 1747.  He was very likely a Particular Baptist, and I wonder if I might find traces of him in the records, if any are extant, of London Baptist churches, of the Particular, or Strict, variety.  He would most likely be found in a Southwark or Wapping congregation.   Particular Baptists practiced a "believer's baptism"  meaning, if the parents of my man were Baptist also, he would not have been baptized as an infant in a C of E.  (I know that there are some exceptions.) 

Does anyone know whether any records of this era survive, and if so, where they might be found?

Santa T. 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: London -late 1600's to mid 1700's Baptist congregations
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 05:43 BST (UK) »
I can't help with your specific query I'm afraid, but there is a church database which may be of some use or give you a starting point.

I had a quick look and as you would expect, the vast majority are C of E:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/churchdb
(Just enter the place name eg Wapping in the box)

I'm sure someone will be along soon who can help you properly. :)

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
hi
if you care to post his name we may be able to help more any info on him such as parents names may also help .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a man who died in 1747.  He was very likely a Particular Baptist, and I wonder if I might find traces of him in the records, if any are extant, of London Baptist churches, of the Particular, or Strict, variety.  He would most likely be found in a Southwark or Wapping congregation.   Particular Baptists practiced a "believer's baptism"  meaning, if the parents of my man were Baptist also, he would not have been baptized as an infant in a C of E.  (I know that there are some exceptions.) 

Does anyone know whether any records of this era survive, and if so, where they might be found?

Santa T.
    I think that followers of the Baptist  denomination may have a Christening  procedure for babies or Infants.      But their version of "Baptism"   involves Full immersion   and  is when  the person  is of an age and understanding   when they  realise  the  enormity of their vows.

If you get the opportunity to visit a Baptist Church,   ask if they will allow you to see the "bath or pool"    in which they carry out this procedure.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 18:38 BST (UK) »

Records of baptisms/marriage/burial should have been handed in to the Registrar-General in 1836 and 1857, and were later deposited at the National Archives (series RG4 and RG8). All these records are available online, at many of the standard research sites.

Some chapels nevertheless retained their own records, and of course there are many other types of records (non-BMD) created by Baptist congregations. Have a look at the Baptist Historical Society for some ideas of places you might try contacting?
http://baptisthistory.org.uk/discover/family-history/

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 July 16 18:44 BST (UK) »
P.S.     The minister  performing the Baptist  Baptism  service  is also  in the water,    and he holds  on to the person being Baptised  and supports them as he  tilts them backwards   for the full immersion.      I assume that the water is heated.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 July 16 06:42 BST (UK) »

Santa T.

I think you might have the wrong end of the stick there Scouseboy.

SantaT is looking for records of baptisms - not details of the baptismal process!  ::)

This says that records were not kept, but they are referring to earlier times:
http://baptisthistoryhomepage.com/brit.wapping.bc.by.dubarry.html

I've had a scout around but can't see mention of Baptist Parish registers anywhere. Presumably you are looking for this baptism in the hope of finding his parent's names?

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 July 16 18:01 BST (UK) »
Santa,    I do recommend that you visit   a church of the Baptist denomination.   Ask them if they can kindly show you  the place were Baptism ceremonies are performed.

Your second question can be  whether they maintain a register  of those  having been baptised.   They may advise which County Records  office  holds the archives.

They may not be online, but they may be on microfiche,  I think.   
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 July 16 02:08 BST (UK) »
As the man in question died in 1747 it is extremely doubtful that if SantaT turns up at any Baptist church and asks if they know if records were kept in the C17th/C18th in London (and if so, where they are now located) that anyone within the church will be able to answer this question.  ::)

I'm surprised you haven't had more replies SantaT as some rootschatters have knowledge of non-conformists. Maybe none of us are having any success with our searches.

I think Bookbox's suggestion is worth following up.