Author Topic: London -late 1600's to mid 1700's Baptist congregations  (Read 1204 times)

Offline SantaT

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London -late 1600's to mid 1700's Baptist congregations
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions.   I have looked at the sites suggested and they are very helpful. 

Just to fill you in ---- I have about given up hope of finding the parents of John Harvey (  ? -- 1747), but he was an odd duck in that he apparently was a Particular or Strict Baptist, which was about 1% of the total UK population at the time (at least according to one source) and doubly odd in that he was  a very wealthy man, which was not at all typical for Baptists of any kind at that period.  At least, as I understand it, and I would be glad to stand corrected.  The executor of his will was John Gill, quite a noted clergyman, in Particular Baptist circles at least.   And his sister, who is my direct ancestor, was a General Baptist, it seems, and these two denominations were poles apart. at least according to those to whom the theological differences between Particular (Strict) or General loom large. 

So I was (still am) in hopes of finding records of a congregation in which he took some part.  I'm aware that there are no registers per se, having seen the records of the Mill Yard Meeting House (General and Sabbatarian Baptist), e.g.    But I'm just interested in fleshing out a bit my knowledge of this man and his period and want to catch as many glimpses of him as I can. 

Again, thanks for all your help. 

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 July 16 13:54 BST (UK) »
So it is his life in general that you are interesting in learning more about?

As his sister is your direct ancestor, do you have her birth/baptism, and therefore their father's or parent's names?

Offline SantaT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 July 16 17:20 BST (UK) »
I am interested in English history as well as genealogy, and learning about this man and his social, geographical and historical context is a way of cutting into this particular period.  Also, he was an interesting man -- he seems to have accumulated a lot of wealth in a career somehow in the merchant marine service. But also, I have a faint hope that in these records, I might find clues as to who he hung out with, and through those leads, to family connections other than his sister.

His sister, Mary Harvey, died in 1764 and is described in the St. Mary Whitechapel burial register as aged 85, which is probably not entirely trustworthy, but seems to put her birth date around 1680, which is consistent with what else I know about her.  The most plausible baptism entry for her is for a Mary Harvey in Bull Run Independent church, Stepney, in 1680, parents John and Catherine.   But I don't have much confidence that this is the right Mary Harvey --for one thing, I haven't found a John Harvey with the same parents, in the right time frame and place.  And Catherine is not a name used by Mary for any of her children, nor does it appear as a granddaughter's name.  Also, there is some family silver mentioned in a will, with the monogram sHe, which doesn't support (or disprove) the idea that her mother's name was Catherine.   So, the long and short of it is, that I don't know who either of their parents are. 

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 July 16 02:26 BST (UK) »
It seems like an interesting family and I can understand your desire to find out more about their life and times. Sorry I can't help. 

Presumably you found his sister's name through his will?

If he was a fairly prominent personality, he doesn't warrant a mention in any newspapers of the time does he?  :-\,

I hope someone can come up with some leads for you ....