Author Topic: Adoption Records  (Read 6890 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Records
« Reply #36 on: Monday 18 July 16 09:26 BST (UK) »
Who is the informant for these birth certificates...who is giving information about Charles?.

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate?

It is very inefficient if you are functioning as the intermediary, relaying questions and answers between your friend and this forum.

You need to have a copy of all the documents relating to your enquiry.

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 18 July 16 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Oops, I see it now, sorry.

Just for interest the requirement to register Qld births in 1875 is as follows.  Interesting the 3 years lapse time.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/122069732?searchTerm=

Gerry

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 18 July 16 11:55 BST (UK) »
wivenhoe: "It is very inefficient if you are functioning as the intermediary, relaying questions and answers between your friend and this forum. You need to have a copy of all the documents relating to your inquiry."
I apologize if it all appears "inefficient" to you.  I was not aware that one had to have certificates (documented evidence) before posting a query on this forum. Perhaps this should be  made clearer to all who use this site because if the many postings made by people who have no documented evidence in their possession is anything to go by, then I am certainly not the only one. My apologies. 
However, can I just bring your attention back to my original posting. My query was about available adoption records and nothing more. Why would I need marriage or birth certificates etc. to ask that?
Adoption Records
« on: Wednesday 13 July 16 23:57 BST (UK) »
"I am researching an ancestor who may have been adopted circa 1870's. On his marriage and death certificates the names of his parents are not given which leads me to think that he may have been adopted or was reared in an orphanage. Does anyone know if adoption records for this era are now available to the public? Any kind of advice greatly appreciated. Cheers."
Once again, my apologies.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 02:09 BST (UK) »
Certainly my friends mother and none of her mother's siblings ever knew of Charles's parents or any siblings that he may have had.  As for Charles Henry Wakefield being an false identity. Perhaps I've seen and read too many detective movies and books  ;) but only a fool would rule it out entirely. He's definitely not adopted like my friend (his grand daughter) thought he might have been and so that is the only option that I am prepared to rule out...thus far.  I've been in contact with her and she is going to request the clergyman's records etc. Will keep you posted.

Yes, it is possible that Charles Henry Wakefield's birth was not registered in the colony of Queensland, either in that name, or in any other name.   But I cannot see any reason to form the view that simply because the Qld BDM registration of his marriage does not note his parents details that that oversight means he was adopted, or he has a false identity.   To me it is a huge step to go from details not noted on a document to determining that that means someone has falsified their identity.    If Queensland BDM searches through their birth registers are similar to those undertaken by NSW BDM in past years, then if asked to search for Charles Henry WAKEFIELD that is the exact spelling for the search.   The search would not consider variations on that spelling, nor would it consider variations on the order of the names, or different surnames.   I am not familiar with the practices at Queensland BDM, perhaps your friend has a much better understanding of the search Queensland BDM undertook. 

May I please suggest your friend checks the birth certificates of the children of the couple, and particularly seeks out the birth certificates where Charles Henry Wakefield is the actual informant.  What information did he provide about himself (verbally of course) when he registered the birth? 

Your friend needs to seek out first hand information.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 02:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help and advice. Regarding the marriage certificate, the names of his parents are left blank. At this stage, we have no idea as to in which state he was born etc. only that he married  and died in Queensland. Yes the names of the brides parents were named on the marriage certificate.
I have researched the available online school records and he does not appear to have attended school in Queensland which could mean that he came to this state sometime as an adult. Either that or he isn't who he pretends he is.....Will continue to look further into it. Cheers!

May I please ask for the online link for school records for Queensland.   I would like to access it to help my own family history research.   I am particularly interested finding records for students in non-government schools in regional Qld in the late 19th Century.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 02:27 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/204766667
The Swan Express 11 December 1914
Registering the Choild  :)

;D  ;D  ;D

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 09:04 BST (UK) »

mygirlbill
You will have read carefully the links and associated pdf documents kindly posted by Dundee in reply#13.

I was interested in following up on these records.
Elizabeth WAKEFIELD and John WAKEFIELD born in CLERMONT, were the children of Henry WAKEFIELD and Mary Ann MURPHY who married in 1872. I don't see the birth  registration for Elizabeth. The records cited above say Mary Ann was dead by 1880.

The records also  say these two children went to Mrs HOMER after some early years in the orphanage.

The HOMERS, Edward Thomas and Sophia Leah worked Barfield Station at Banana, south of Rockhampton.
The marriages, births of children and deaths of Elizabeth TAYLOR (nee WAKEFIELD) and John WAKEFIELD can be traced quite easily online and the details can be posted, but only if relevant.

The WAKEFIELD couple of Clermont had other children in the 1870's,. Some of these can be tracked, others are not so obvious, and likely there are omissions of registration too. ::)

I have had a look around attempting  to connect Charles Henry to this family, and have nothing to show.

A couple of co-incidences -
The forename Harold was given to a son of John WAKEFIELD and a son of Charles Henry WAKEFIELD. :)
Both John and Charles were carters at some stage,(1903)  albeit one in Rockhampton and one in Bundaberg.
That’s about it really ::)

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 09:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting?

Further to reply #13 and Elizabeth WAKEFIELD -

Morning Bulletin 10 Mar 1904
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/53008237?

Parents of Mary Ann Amelia COX are George Thomas COX and Susan AIRDS.

Can you give your attention to this question please -
"...Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate?"

Offline mygirlbill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 09:38 BST (UK) »
G'day Sue. Charles Henry Wakefield claimed to have been born in 1875 in Rockhampton. The Claremont Wakefields also had a son (John) born in 1875 albeit that he was born in Claremont and an exact date at this point in time is unknown. If they are one and the same, then it would mean that Charles Henry had taken on a false identity which as I have mentioned earlier, I will not rule out entirely until proven otherwise. However, at this point in time, I doubt very much that they are one and the same. I wonder if on marriage and death certificates of these Claremont born Wakefields the names of their parents were given????