Author Topic: Which test should mum have to determine "ethnicity", please?  (Read 4947 times)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which test should mum have to determine "ethnicity", please?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 January 17 22:52 GMT (UK) »
This is a "hot off the blog" article about ethnicity percentages that is well worth a read.

https://dna-explained.com/2017/01/11/concepts-calculating-ethnicity-percentages/

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 January 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi hurworth:

Thank you for providing the link; things make more sense now especially taking into consideration Great Britain's history (with "invading" tribes), and the fact that I can positively only find births/other records for 28 out of 32 of her ggg-grandparents.  Of course, the site provided much more information than those two things.   ;)

I am pleased with how quickly she received the results and just overall pleased that we had it done.  I am also learning more about history (in particular, the "Iberian Peninsula"), which is one of the reasons I enjoy genealogy so much.

Thank you for taking an interest in this thread.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 15 January 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
This is a "hot off the blog" article about ethnicity percentages that is well worth a read.

https://dna-explained.com/2017/01/11/concepts-calculating-ethnicity-percentages/

Thank you for including the link a very useful read. Indeed I would say anyone thinking of taking a DNA test for the "ethnicity" results would benefit from reading it before taking the test and then they would see the limitations of the tests.

I did the 64 great great great great grandparents test mentioned in the article which says I am 73.5%English, 25% probably English and 1.5% other which does not compare at all with my ftDNA results of 67% Western and Central Europe and 33% Scandinavian and nil British Isles. (Just to highlight the inconsistency a bit more my father has a large percentage of British Isles in his results).

I also noted in the comments section that there are rumours again that Ancestry could be going public this year which would in part account for why they are pushing their DNA tests so hard trying to boost income.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 January 17 04:19 GMT (UK) »
She is Canadian and has Irish and English ancestors. 

You should look at the relatively new Living DNA test.

It currently identifies 80 regions including 21 across the UK and will soon be adding specific regions within Ireland.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 January 17 08:48 GMT (UK) »
They have been around since 2004 according to their website. By comparison, FTDNA were founded in 2000.

I thought that any test results can only give an indication of origins based on others in their database who have tested? How can they give region specific results where other testing companies cannot? I'm not sure I believe their claims, though it would be nice if they were true.

This quote from their website sounds a bit pretentious ... "we are committed to supporting individuals reach a point of truth in their lives". Huh?

;D

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 January 17 10:25 GMT (UK) »
They can make the claim because they have access to a database the other providers don't.

They use Oxford University's People of the British Isles study as their database:

http://www.peopleofthebritishisles.org/

https://www.livingdna.com/en-au/about-living-dna

The participants of the study needed to have all four grandparents born within a specific distance - 80 Kms from memory, which is the requirement for the equivalent Irish study:

https://www.livingdna.com/en-au/blog/214/new-living-dna-project-aims-map-ireland-s-genetic-history

Reliably reviewed here:

https://cruwys.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Living%20DNA

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 January 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes, decent reviews. When I want to reach a point of truth in my life and I have some spare cash I would be interested in taking that test. ;D

(half joking/half serious  ;))

Offline Jan_A

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 27 February 17 03:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just wanted to add some food for thought.  My father never knew his family, so I did my mom's DNA and mine (since dad's is unavailable now).  Using the Gedmatch.com website, I select my dna and my mother's to compare to "many others".  I do about 5 at a time and use 3d chromosome comparison.  If another person shares chromosomes with only me and NOT my mother: I have found relatives on my FATHER's side.   It is a lot of work but I've got pretty proficient with it.

Just an idea for finding family members if you have 2 "known" samples.

Best of luck,
Jan
Gedmatch kit: A167435

Mum's side: Goss, Stapleton, Dreese, Conner,  Bottenhorn/Bodenhorn, Buterbaugh

Dad's side: Muhl, Junge, Simpson, Keenan, Kirk, Griffin

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 27 February 17 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Are you aware Jan that with a Tier 1 Gedmatch membership ($10 US for one month) you can create a kit for your father which is your DNA minus your mother's DNA?