Author Topic: Cause of Death at Sea?  (Read 6985 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of Death at Sea?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:00 BST (UK) »
I see that Susan reverts to Adams again on the 1871 census and the three unmarried children with her all have different surnames.I don't suppose they split up and she portrayed herself as a widow!

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:18 BST (UK) »
Alternately,Robert Adams may already have been dead by 1855/6 as there is a birth record for the Elspet Morrison of the 1871 census that gives the parents as Robert Morrison and Susan Reid

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i0g/

Regards
Roger

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:36 BST (UK) »
I see that Susan reverts to Adams again on the 1871 census and the three unmarried children with her all have different surnames.I don't suppose they split up and she portrayed herself as a widow!

Regards
Roger

Wow, Roger. You may be right! Something fishy may be going on here.... I always just thought that since My GG Grandfather was John Reid Adams, and his DC says his Father was Robert "Adams", that the census taker just left out the last names on the 1871 census.  Also on Susan's DC from 1887 it states she is the Widow of Robert Adams, Blacksmith.  And the informant is John Reid, her son. Again he isn't using the Adams name. But on his marriage certificate a few months later he is John R. Adams, son of Robert Adams and Susan Reid both deceased.

However, I just now thanks to you, found a Birth Certificate for Elspet Adam MORRISON B. 1856, Aberdeen, Parents Robert MORRISON , AG. LAB, and Susan REID! And it doesnt say Widow for Susan! I can find no marriage for them.....

So either Robert died well BEFORE My GG Grandad and his sister were born, and Susan fooled around quite a bit after, or he LEFT them well before and she fooled around quite a bit after!

Very interesting....especially since if you look on the 1881 census, she is still Susan Adams, Widow, and her son John Reid is now a Blacksmith Journeyman...like his "father", which would tend to make sense. But there is also a Granddaughter, Susan Adams, 6, who apparently is the illegitimate child of Mary Adams, My Gg Granddads other sister! So fooling around might have run in the family! There is a Chance that the 1871 census is the wrong family, since it gives an incorrect birthplace for Susan. I have her most likely being born in Banchory Devenick, and it states Forfar(shire) Dundee. So either she lied about that too , or perhaps its a different family? Very strange!

Thanks for your help!
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:39 BST (UK) »
Alterately,Robert Adams may alresdy have been dead by 1855/6 as there is a birth record for the Elspet Morrison of the 1871 census that ives the parents as Robert Morrison and Susan Reid

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i0g/

Regards
Roger

Yes I had looked for deaths for him from 1850 and up but cant find any....strange! He either died, or they REALLY didn't like him after he abandoned the family...cause they sure tried to make him seem dead ;-)
Black, Ross - Rathven
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:48 BST (UK) »
A couple of other items

There is a Robert Morrison,born 1830,seaman,in Old Machar in the 1851 census,but not subsequently.

The FamiySearch record for John Reid 1859,names Susan as mother but no father.

Regards
Roger

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:49 BST (UK) »
Elspet Morrison M. John Corbet July 26, 1878. States her father as Alexander Morrison, Stonecutter, deceased...Mother Susan Reid, Housekeeper. Its the right Elspet because the witnesses are her half-brother Robert Adams and half-sister Mary Adams!  Just when you think you've got it all figured out...
Black, Ross - Rathven

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 16 July 16 01:52 BST (UK) »
A couple of other items

There is a Robert Morrison,born 1830,seaman,in Old Machar in the 1851 census,but not subsequently.

The FamiySearch record for John Reid 1859,names Susan as mother but no father.

Regards
Roger

Can you PM me the transcription of that....I hadn't found that! So either Robert came back from the dead or returned from his "vacation" and sired my GG Granddad, or he lied about his father and my whole family thinks they're Adams for the last 125 years! My moms not gonna be happy about this one!
Black, Ross - Rathven

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 July 16 02:00 BST (UK) »
Is this what you want?

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i0h/

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate