Author Topic: McFadyens in Paisley, Scotland circa 1750  (Read 968 times)

Offline NicPhaidein

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McFadyens in Paisley, Scotland circa 1750
« on: Friday 15 July 16 20:27 BST (UK) »
I am keen to find out more about my great great great grandfather, John McFadyen, who was a weaver. He married Jean Renfrew in Paisley in 1806. She was born in 1783, parents James and Margaret ne้ Stewart. I would like to determine which of the Isles the McFadyens came from. Any help or suggestions would be most welcome. Hilary

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McFadyens in Paisley, Scotland circa 1750
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 16 16:39 BST (UK) »

Hi Hilary, welcome to RC.

Do you have any further data i.e. census? this might help - did they stay in Paisley?

also I tried looking for deaths in paisley after 1855 on Scotland's People

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

this would usually give parents details. There are some there but you need credits to look at  each one.
The marriage says John McFadyen of Barony parish in Glasgow.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 July 16 19:17 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too, Hilary  :)

Doesn't help really in tracing back to John so far but is this Jean, a widow by 1851:

Jean Mcfadgen 67 Hand Loom Weaver (widow) b. Paisley
Campbell Leckie ** 30 daughter bobbin winder b. Glasgow
John Mcfadyen 28 son Printers Compositon b. Glasgow
Jean P Leckie 6 grandchild b. Glasgow
James M F Leckie 4 grandchild b. Glasgow...https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1W4-KJV
Helen P Leckie 2 grandchild b. Glasgow...https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1SM-NH3
Jean P Paterson 2 grandchild b. Glasgow...https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FMSP-WZ6

Address: 18 Clyde St, Glasgow/Calton

** there is a member correction showing 'Cambell' as should read Margaret Blair McFadyen. Campbell Lekie looks to be husband of Margaret. This looks to be the marriage, Campbell actually a middle name it seems https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYWH-1N5

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 July 16 19:34 BST (UK) »
For 1841, have you got this entry?  Not sure, but wondered if this entry connected to the family with the surname Renfrew there and also the occupation for young John McFadyen (thinking here of the family 1851 entry above):

Wm Mcfadyen 50 Ind b. Scotland
Wm Mcfadyen 25
W(?M)ary Mcfadyen 36 Cotton Winder
Jean Mcfadyen 20 Cotton P L W
John Mcfadyen 15 Printer Ap
James Renfrew 20 b. Scotland

Address: Market, Glasgow Chalmers

Likely you have Jean Renfrew's 1855 death cert which should list her children's names and ages when she died and alive/deceased then too.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NicPhaidein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 July 16 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the prompt replies. I don't think John and Jean (Renfrew) McFadyen stayed in Paisley as James' birthplace is listed as Barony, Glasgow, Lanarkshire. James, my great great grandfather, became a United Presbyterian minister in Patna, Ayrshire. His sister, Margaret, may have married Campbell Leckie, who was mentioned in one of the replies to my original post. But it's John McFadyen I am really interested in; where was he born? I think he was a weaver, and maybe he met Jean at one of Paisley mills. Did his father or grandfather come from one of the isles, Tiree, Coll or Mull, where there are plenty of McFadyens?