Author Topic: David Shanks/ Mary Scott 1862  (Read 2783 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: David Shanks/ Mary Scott 1862
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 July 16 09:45 BST (UK) »
There is a death on SP for a David Shanks 1856 New Monkland with mother's maiden name Main
I haven't checked the age for that David but looks good.

Well, Jim, better look at that one, because if he is the son of David Shanks and Janet Main he can't have got married in 1862. So you might be able to disprove that theory.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
1841 ?
David Shanks 40 Head
Civil Parish Rosneath
Address Manse Craigrowniee
Occupation Min Of Craigrownie

According to Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae, David Shanks, Minister of Craigrownie, was born in Airdrie on 8 April 1828, son of Robert Shanks and Agnes Hay, and he became Minister there in 1854, so that census cannot be 1841 - must be 1871. He married Agnes Bowie and died in 1887. So he is a red herring as far as Jim's query is concerned.

This is the David listed with his mother Agnes, 50, and 5 siblings in Watston, New Monkland. In 1851 he is still in the same place (spelled Walston in the FreeCEN transcription), aged 20, and described as a student of divinity, with widowed mother Agnes, 60, and three siblings. So those two census sightings can also be discounted.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 July 16 10:27 BST (UK) »
Besides the son of Robert Shanks and Agnes Hay, who can be discounted, there is one other David Shanks of roughly the right age in New Monkland in the 1841 census. This is the 12-year-old male servant in the household of Thomas Shanks, farmer, 23, at Drumshangie. In 1851 he is still there, aged 22, and described as the nephew of 37-year-old Thomas Shanks.

In 1881 Thomas was still in Drumshangie, a farmer aged 73 and born in Cadder. It might be instructive to get his death certificate and see who his parents were, and then see if they had a son David or a daughter Agnes?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 16 02:47 BST (UK) »
1841 ?
David Shanks 40 Head
Civil Parish Rosneath
Occupation Min Of Craigrownie

Forfarian......

Thanks for pointing out my error as I had 2 census' open at the same time but have copied the wrong one....the post I made actually says 1871 at the bottom which I didn't notice when I copied it  ::)

1841 ?

Occupation Min Of Craigrownie Park
ED 4
Household schedule number 101
LINE 4
Roll CSSCT1871_88

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline samalexander

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 27 July 19 15:55 BST (UK) »
This thread is old but I too am trying to find the David Shanks (nephew of Thomas Shanks) who was living at Drumshangie in 1841 and 1851.

I haven’t been able to find out who Thomas’ parents were - whoever recorded his death recorded Thomas’ wife’s mother as his (Ann Jack). As for the father who is recorded on his death record it is given as Thomas Shanks but this could have been a guess if the informant was unsure.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 July 19 18:39 BST (UK) »
whoever recorded his death recorded Thomas’ wife’s mother as his (Ann Jack). As for the father who is recorded on his death record it is given as Thomas Shanks but this could have been a guess if the informant was unsure.

Who was the informant & what was their relationship or other given as?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 27 July 19 19:09 BST (UK) »
Would it not be best to continue on your newer post here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=816096.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samalexander

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 March 21 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Update to this thread: David Shanks (m. Mary Scott 1862) seems to be the nephew of Thomas Shanks, as listed on the census records. Another confirmation for this would be that on his marriage to Mary Scott, he is residing at Blackrigg and a farmer. I have the Will record of Jean Shanks, Thomas Shanks' sister, so could be David's aunt. Both David and Jean lived in the same household at Blackrigg/Blackridge. David Shanks is mentioned in her will, sometimes by "David Shanks, or Main" and so is Thomas Shanks, of Drumshangie her brother.

if David is the nephew of Thomas and Jean, he must be the grandson of David Shanks and Jean Thomson via one of his parents if they both had the surname Shanks as these are the parents of Thomas and Jean Shanks.

I'd be very interested to see if anyone has since found information relating to David's parents or where the Main name came from.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 March 21 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I have the Will record of Jean Shanks, Thomas Shanks' sister, so could be David's aunt. Both David and Jean lived in the same household at Blackrigg/Blackridge. David Shanks is mentioned in her will, sometimes by "David Shanks, or Main" and so is Thomas Shanks, of Drumshangie her brother.

I'd be very interested to see if anyone has since found information relating to David's parents or where the Main name came from.

Is there a relationship to Jean mentioned regarding 'David Shanks, or Main'?

The use of 2 surnames may imply he was illegitimate?

Annie