Author Topic: Thomas Dwyer - joined up twice ?  (Read 694 times)

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Dwyer - joined up twice ?
« on: Sunday 17 July 16 01:25 BST (UK) »
I have found a very sparse service record for my great uncle Thomas Dwyer. It's just 3 pages. It says he attested 15th March 1907 for 'Militia or Reserve Division of the Militia" of the Royal Irish Regiment and a note says was "Posted" as a Corporal same day 15th March 1907. There is also a note to say he was "Discharged by Purchase" 26 March 06.
Am I right in thinking this means he joined up prior to March 06. Then bought himself out and then joined up again in 15 March 07 - does the "Posted" on the same day mean anything ?
This is the last record I have found for him so wondering if his military career was just a 'flash in the pan' and nothing really to follow up.

Offline Researcher711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Dwyer - joined up twice ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 July 16 09:21 BST (UK) »
There seem to be a couple of Thomas Dwyers who joined up, purchased their discharge and re-joined around this time.  What was his date / place of birth so that I can find his record on findmypast?  If he was immediately posted as a Corporal, that suggests that he was previously in the militia to acheive such rapid promotion.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 July 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
If he was immediately posted as a Corporal, that suggests that he was previously in the militia to acheive such rapid promotion.

Depending upon his age he could have been an ex-Regular who switched to the Militia.

Ken

Offline Researcher711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 July 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Good point!

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 July 16 11:32 BST (UK) »
Was he born c1876 in Tipperary? There was a former Sergeant in the Royal Irish Fusiliers who was discharged in January 1907 from the Army Reserve. They served ten days a year in exchange for half-pay. He could have extend in the AR, but by joining the Militia Reserve (for 4 years usually) he would be paid for 6-8 weeks a year instead of ten days, and was a possible route to being made a Sergeant on the permanent staff.

No parents listed. NoK were older brothers John and William.

His Militia papers should have details of previous service on Page 1. My guess is that date of purchase is wrong.

Ken