Author Topic: Seeking a family who lived in Geraldton in Western Australia.  (Read 21224 times)

Offline CallyJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a family who lived in Geraldton in Western Australia.
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carmel

I have a copy of the death certificate of Jane Aubery, aged 57 years who died in Albany on 24 December 1891. This is not our Jane. I have previously mentioned the book 'Yalgoo" written by Alex Palmer. Gold was discovered in Yalgoo in 1892. In a paragraph regarding the gold discovery Jane is not mentioned by name but described as an Aboriginal shepherdess, living with a man named "George Aubery" and had 2 children named Thomas and Mary. The man who told this story knew Uncle Tom and Mary well.

When Henry died in 1907, Millicent was the youngest child aged 17 years. The Stolen Generation is reported to have been between 1910 and 1970.

Over the years I have tracked the whereabout of my grandmother Ellen's siblings using marriage certificates, death certificates and information from other cousins. I have been able to find out information on all of them with the exception of Julia.

I hope the above information helps. Due to a family commitment I am away from home until the end of February and will not have access to my family history information.

Kindest regards
Winifred

Offline Cjazee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 05 March 23 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

thank you so much for that information.  Is there some way we can discuss this further.  * is my email address.  i have created a Jane Dhungarra page on fb.  am happy to add you to it.  also have ancestry account. cheers Carmel

*Moderator comment: edited to remove personal e-mail address in line with RootsChat general practice and guidance, to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thanks

Offline Ima Hunting

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 22 March 24 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Regarding the stolen generation, the year of 1910 is “flexible”

When prinsep was chief protector, he was already advocating and getting laws changed. In 1905, the Act that was passed through parliament had the addition of removing children “by force”… so the removal of children was already happening for a long time before the official date. Decades before… but the technicality was the shouldn’t be taken by force…. Just when they weren’t in their parents arms. The force part meant they could be ripped from their parents arms. I guess force was always used because the children would have fought to get away.

When Neville became chief protector, he was better with paperwork and recording, whuvh is why there are more records for children removed after 1916.

Records for Stolen gen are through find and connect if you need to look anything up. There are also records online… family trees etc through state library wa