Author Topic: Annie Bradley born in West Derby, but when?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Steve Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annie Bradley born in West Derby, but when?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 23:26 BST (UK) »
Annie can be found on the 1881 census aged 10, she married William Stirrup on the 14th June 1894 aged 23 at St George's Everton.

I have Annie Stirrup on the 1901 and 1911 census records. Annie died on the 26th August 1944 aged 73.

I found The birth record for Annie Bradley b. 19th Oct 1873, unfortunately her parents were William Bradley and Eliza. Annie's mother was Ann Kennish and there is not record of Eliza being any part of her name.

My Annie is not Annie Emily Sedgewick Bradley as I have found her marriage, she would appear to be a sibling as she is the daughter of William Bradley and Ann Kennish.

Annie is my paternal great grandmother and unfortunately there are no living relatives that have any birth date for her.

Steve

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Either of these two would appear to be the most likely:

June Quarter 1870
Bradley, Ann - Liverpool 8b 53

June Quarter 1871
Bradley, Anne - Liverpool 8b 193
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 July 16 23:44 BST (UK) »
Very odd calling two children by the same name when the older one was still alive.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 06:41 BST (UK) »
Very odd calling two children by the same name when the older one was still alive.

The older Anne isn't called by that name though. It is likely she was called after her mother - others have mother's surname.
1891 onwards Annie is shown as born abt 1873 and after marriage as Anne.
I cannot see a reference to her being born in West Derby - Liverpool is always given so you could apply for a birth certificate, Steve, naming the parents and approximate year- likely to be 1871 according to first census.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 07:13 BST (UK) »
The 1881 Census was taken on 3 April 1881. Annie was 10 years old in this census so to be 10 she would have had to have been born before 3 April 1871.

As both of the birth registrations I provided earlier are in the June (or second) quarter, then I think it more likely she was born in 1870, but that’s just my opinion.
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 09:53 BST (UK) »
Bear in mind that the birth may not have been registered. Registration was not compulsory before the 1874 Births and Deaths Registration Act.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 12:11 BST (UK) »
Two children called Annie in the same family is odd, even if one of them was known as Amy. I suppose we have to consider the possibility that the younger Annie might have been "taken in" by the Bradleys ( possibly the child of Catherine Kennish?). 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 12:12 BST (UK) »
Annie can be found on the 1881 census aged 10, she married William Stirrup on the 14th June 1894 aged 23 at St George's Everton.

My Annie is not Annie Emily Sedgewick Bradley as I have found her marriage, she would appear to be a sibling as she is the daughter of William Bradley and Ann Kennish.

Steve

This Annie was actually Annie AMY hence being known as Amy in 1881

NAME:    Annie Amy Sedgwick Bradley
SPOUSE:    Thomas Rothwell Spencer
FATHER:    William Bradley
BIRTH:    abt 1864
MARRIAGE:    1 Jul 1895 - Liverpool, Holy Trinity, Lancashire

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
Whilst it is very unusual for two children both to be named the same thing whilst both are still alive it is not unheard of. There was a discussion about this not long ago on a facebook group that I am a member of. Also in my own extended family tree I have a Thomas Robert Rowlands born 1868 in Wrexham who was still alive in 1881 and who had a brother Thomas Rowlands born in Wrexham also in 1870 who was still alive in 1911.