Author Topic: Tracking down two English lawyers born to an Irishman  (Read 2101 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking down two English lawyers born to an Irishman
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 July 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

His father's name was indeed Michael. And his mother was Ellen.

The original note on James' family does state the sons were "attorneys" rather than lawyers. I thought it just an Americanism that had swept in. I see now it must just be very specific.

What is the difference between an attorney and country attorney? Where might I find the index of surnames? Anyone?

Yes, Liverpool is the first place I'm searching. Well, it's whatever turns up on censuses really, but it has a fair few Donoghues in the censuses. Just not anything that ties in with the story.

Re: his sister in law, I have no idea. If it's the wife of a brother, then there are two. But they lived in the same area and we know a lot about them. Never a mention of a brother in law imposing himself. If it's his ex-wife's sister, then I know nothing about anything with regards to that!

And yes, the post linked to *is* the same family, I've just received new evidence in the last 12 years that stops me assuming that the James I noted in that article is the James I'm looking for.
Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 July 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the death which has been mentioned?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 July 16 19:40 BST (UK) »

What is the difference between an attorney and country attorney? Where might I find the index of surnames? Anyone?

You'll need your nearest library with copies of the Law List for those dates on the shelves. The surname index is in each volume. If you are based near London, TNA at Kew or the Society of Genealogists both hold copies. There is a scan of the 1880 edition on www.archive.org; there may be others out there.
The Law List splits attorneys into London attorneys (with London addresses) and country attorneys (the rest).
The word attorney gave way to solicitor some time in the 19th century.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan