Author Topic: What's on a death certificate?  (Read 2468 times)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
What's on a death certificate?
« on: Friday 22 July 05 15:13 BST (UK) »
Was planning on ordering a few death certificates from the GRO this afternoon, but how much info would they give me? One's from 1853 and the other's from 1891.

Thanks,
Vicky
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What's on a death certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 05 15:19 BST (UK) »
Death certs contain  Name of decease.  Date of death cause of death name address and relationship to the deceased of the informer ( unless of course its a coroner) registrars signature.

A good place to start for information like this is the GRO website http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 05 15:23 BST (UK) »
Excellent. Thanks so much for the speedy reply. Will order them right away and will keep my fingers crossed!
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
Me again. Have got a slight problem, although not with the death certificates I want, but a marriage certificate I wanted to order at the same time. Although I thought I had the exact GRO reference from Free BMD, I just visited Ancestry to double-check and there's an extra Henry Barrington who was married in 1876 in the same area. So now I've got two GRO references here. I can't be sure which one is the right one. Is there not any way I can check, or is it just a case of take your pick and hope for the best? :-\

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 05 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Vicky

You can put in extra info as a reference check.ie Probable address or dads name.
If it is the wrong one they will refund £3 of your £7 fee.

Or do you know exactly who yours married- if so post it here and one of us will check her ref on 1837 online for you.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 05 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Carol, but we don't know who he married and we're not 100% sure of his father's name! Have a look at this snippet from the 1871 census.

24 Trinity Street, St Augustine, Bristol

Henry Barrington - Son - 19 - Clerk/Sorter in Post Office - Bristol
William G Barrington - Son - 18 - Post Office Telegraph Messenger - Bristol

William G Barrington is my g-g-grandfather. I've got his marriage certificate and a birth certificate and his father's name is slightly different on each. We're having trouble tracing the father. When we discovered that there was a brother (Henry), we wanted to request his marriage certificate to clear up the confusion over their father's name. Of course, we also want to know about the wife, her family and any children that they had, because there are so few male Barringtons, we wanted to locate them all. So I don't know how I can be of more help to the GRO. We do have a possible address, shown above, as the marriage was not long after the census was taken. Luckily the right one can be one of only two, so the worst that can happen is that we end up with one unwanted certificate... and that's probably a cousin, or something, anyway. :) 

Thanks and warm wishes,
Vicky

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 05 17:02 BST (UK) »
BUt they look to be brothers if they come from the same household.  Whats the full reference and whats the problem with the entry

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 05 17:17 BST (UK) »
Here's the 1871 entry- I've looked at the image and George is NOT George A but it is definitely a G or J.

RG10/2536 folio 10 page 12

Henry Barrington abt 1852  Bristol,  Son     
William A Barrington abt 1853  Bristol,  Son     
Elizabeth Lorymore abt 1823  Bristol,  Head   
Elizabeth Lorymore abt 1861  Bristol,  Daughter 

Can't find either Elizabeth in 1861 yet though.
Is the surname transcribed correctly?

ATB

Carol

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 05 17:32 BST (UK) »
Are they this family in 1861?

Both Elizabeths seem to fit- and so does Henry and George(sort of  ;D)

Living in St Philip and St Jacob area of Bristol?

Elizabeth Blackmore abt 1822  Bristol, St Paul, Wife 
Elizabeth Blackmore abt 1860  Bristol, St Philip,  Daughter   
George Blackmore abt 1852  Bristol, St Paul,  Son   
Henry Blackmore abt 1856  Bristol, St Paul, Son 
James Blackmore abt 1855  Bristol St Michael, Son 
Joshua Blackmore abt 1827  Bristol, St Paul,  Head   
William Blackmore abt 1851  Bristol, St Paul,  Son 

So yeah I see what your problem is- who IS the boys dad ?  ???

Carol