Author Topic: What's on a death certificate?  (Read 2469 times)

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: What's on a death certificate?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 July 05 17:48 BST (UK) »
Ooh, that is interesting. Thank you! :) But I know that my William was born in 1853... Could be the George on there, though. I've got Elizabeth Snr being born in 1823-ish and Jnr 1861-ish, which also matches. It's possible, I suppose. God, how confusing is this?! :o

I always had a hunch that William's mother re-married. She was born Elizabeth Flynn, then was a Barrington and died a Lorymore. William's father - Elizabeth Flynn's first husband - is given as "William George Barrington" and plain old "George Barrington" on William's birth and marriage certificates (1853 and 1876). He was a coachman and an ostler... and no one can find anything about him. :'( We found a possible match from Badminton in 1851, but soon eliminated him from our enquiries as he had another wife and child... Long story!

Some kind soul (Tara) did the following 1861 lookup for me yesterday. Thought it interesting to see St Augustine again.

1 Upper Lamb Street, St Augustine, Bristol  
RG9/1724, ed 21, folio 82, pg 1

Flynn Henry 48 Plymouth Head  Labourer
Flynn Elizabeth 50  Clifton; Bristol Wife  Labourer
Flynn Mary Ann 24  Bristol Daughter  Labourer
Flynn Thomas 20  Bristol Son  Labourer

Or am I getting ahead of myself? ;) Also found the deaths of the two Elizabeth Lorymores.
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Grimes - Bridgwater, Somerset.
Lamb - Poplar, Essex, Hither Green, Kent.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 July 05 18:07 BST (UK) »
Just received this from another kind person who did a lookup of the 1891 census for the possible brother, Henry. A different occupation, but perhaps that's the wife I need to match him with to order his marriage certificate from the GRO. ;D (I just wish it had 'maiden name' on the census as well. For Pete's sake, it would have been just one more teensy box! How much easier would that have made it for us all, eh?!)

Ashley Vale, Barton Regis, Gloucestershire
RG12/1971 (folio 89, page 7)

Henry  Barrington            39 confectioner   Gloucs.  Bristol
Priscilla ......                     34                        Bristol St.Phillips
Phillip James                    18                        Gloucs. Bristol
Edith                                12                             ...............
Lilian Daisy                       10
Claud Henry                      8
Reginald George                5

I suppose I could post a lookup request for them in 1881, although that wouldn't give me her maiden name. What about the BIVRI? I don't suppose anyone can check 1837online for her without a maiden name? I'd be eternally thankful if anyone could find her. At least I'd know if I'm ordering the right certificate and might finally get somewhere with the elusive Barrington father. ::)
Barrington, Westerman (originally from Hannover), Long (originally from Prussia), Lorymore, Flyng, Porter - all Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Dwan, Turner, Cole, Carter, Walker, Kay, Hughes, Maplesden - all St Olaves/Bermondsey/Rotherhithe/Southwark/Stepney/Lambeth/Wandsworth.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 July 05 19:59 BST (UK) »
Here we go my dear !!! From BMD and with the 1871 info I just PM'd you.

Surname  First name(s)    District  Vol  Page 

~~~~~~~~
Marriages Jun 1876
~~~~~~~~

BARNES  Joseph Bowden    Clifton  6a 219   
Barrington  Henry     Clifton  6a 219   
Harris  Sarah Ann     Clifton  6a 219   
Porter  Priscilla     Clifton  6a 219   

You DO know you can do 1881 free of charge on http://www.familysearch.org/
don't you?

Good luck

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 July 05 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I may have lost the plot here (it is Friday and my other half decided a bottle of wine was called for to celebrate the end of term), but Vicky, you do know that the Ancestry index of BMD is a duplicate of FreeBMD?

From 1881 census Henry Barrington is married to a Priscilla (RG11/2474/13 p 4).  William George Barrington is married to a Caroline and can be found at RG11/2486/85 p 14.

Did these two have older siblings - might we find the family in 1851?

Nell

PS to return to the original question - please look at Barbara Dixon's excellent tutorials on certificates
http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Full of useful information  ;)
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline v i c k y

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 July 05 20:36 BST (UK) »
First... Carol, thank you ever so much for all your help today. I'm very grateful and my mother will be too when she finds out. :)

My head has been all over the place tonight! What with being unwell (chickenpox), tonight's leads have led me a merry dance. I'm tracing my mother's tree and six - I think! - family names. The evening has been taken up by the NA site, looking for info on my g-grandfather's WWI exploits (other side of the family). A very confusing website! But I think anything would confuse me right now! :P

I did know about http://www.familysearch.org but thanks very much for reminding me. I needed the reminder. But Nell, I am aware that Ancestry and FreeBMD are the same. (Yay, I haven't completely lost the plot tonight!) It's just that, when I searched FreeBMD last night, it gave me only one possible marriage. Today, Ancestry gave me two. :o But thanks very much for the link and census references. Bless William and Caroline, they're so straight-forward and easy to track... unlike some of them! As far as I'm aware, the two brothers are the eldest. I'm 99% sure of that.

I don't know how you do it. Someone else's family tree, yet you stay focused and think logically. I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you do!  ;)

Thanks so much for everything. You're absolute stars.
Vicky