Author Topic: Should the time to edit posts be reduced?  (Read 19713 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Should the time to edit posts be reduced?
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 23 July 16 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Arthur,

The issue here seems to be more about manners and etiquette of enquirers in original posts. Your proposition however would affect everyone's posts which seems harsh to me. Perhaps enquirers need more guidance to ensure that people are not sent on a wild goose chase or are made to look silly by appearing to misunderstand the op? I would agree that if the query in the original post is significantly changed there should be a follow-up post by the op to inform people about these important changes. 

Blue 

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 23 July 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Everybody makes mistakes, the ability to alter/remove a mistake that could cause embarrassment or offence from the World Wide Web is good to have and, I think, helps the spontaneity of some of the threads on here.
Of course there are always some who abuse any facility in various degrees. If you find that a post is not what it was before your post you can always make a mention of it, maybe has a "edit" of your answering post, if you notice it during the allotted time span.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 23 July 16 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi - another return from the past  ;D

If members like Arthur are really concerned about serious editing making a nonsense of replies, could I suggest that they could always quote the original when they reply.

Also, maybe we could encourage members to add EDIT or ADDED if they do want to make significant changes to a post. *

I vote for the status quo  :)

* Added - if they are making more than spelling/grammar changes.

Ah, a voice from the past and one that I'm sure is well aware that, in the 'past,' malicious editing was quite common.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 23 July 16 16:14 BST (UK) »
If you find that a post is not what it was before your post you can always make a mention of it, maybe has a "edit" of your answering post, if you notice it during the allotted time span.

I might take to doing something like that if it was really bad, although in general I feel that any comment on other members' netiquette is best left to the moderators.

In the recent case that riled me I was well out of time for editing my follow-up post. When I'm subscribed to a thread that I've contributed to (which happens automatically with the settings I've chosen), I keep the latest notification of a new post, and when it's gone quiet for about a week I unsubscribe. In this case, I felt rather miffed that the OP didn't post a follow-up or thank you, but then when I went to unsubscribe I found he'd done this by amending the original post. And as I said above, edits don't generate notifications.

This may, of course, mean that other people who I've decided not to respond to in future because they appear rude and ungrateful are actually nothing of the sort, but I can't check this without going through all their posts, and I'm afraid I (mostly) have better things to do.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 23 July 16 16:28 BST (UK) »
It might be worthwhile reporting incidences as they could be termed a wrongly posted message and repeat offenders could be identified this way. Reporting text says:-

"Use this function to inform the moderators and administrators of an abusive or wrongly posted message."

Blue

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 23 July 16 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi - another return from the past  ;D

If members like Arthur are really concerned about serious editing making a nonsense of replies, could I suggest that they could always quote the original when they reply.

Also, maybe we could encourage members to add EDIT or ADDED if they do want to make significant changes to a post. *

I vote for the status quo  :)

* Added - if they are making more than spelling/grammar changes.

Ah, a voice from the past and one that I'm sure is well aware that, in the 'past,' malicious editing was quite common.

Hi Gadget, nice to see you back, hope you are well. 😀

I do not have a problem with the 24 hr edit limit, and agree on quoting former text or use edit/adding if any changes are made other than spelling or grammar etc.

On the other hand can maybe appreciate what Arthur is saying, and can only say have found him to be a very helpful, knowledgable and polite individual in replies to threads I have viewed he has contributed towards. Arthur I am also guilty of not reading all of a thread over and over once posted.

Eranto, am curious of the definition of 'malicious editing' is it when another posts/adds info to a reply they have gained from another poster that has posted after them? So it seems that they found the info and the true finder looks as if it's repeated.  I was on thread recently and one poster accused another of ETA. Editing to add/amend post with info they had found.

Just interested in your thoughts.

ADDED: What is malicious editing..anyone?

Cas

Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 23 July 16 18:12 BST (UK) »
Please do not forget that there is the "report to moderator" button on every thread on RootsChat - people use this button for all sorts of instances including editing a post our of time, reporting a folk needing help etc

:)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 23 July 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
I am still wondering what a malicious edit is?

Erato..Please do not throw comment out there when no reply, to possibly incite board, it is unnessary.

I have been hear a while, will say have seen a few in discord, but never malicious.

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 23 July 16 22:09 BST (UK) »
I would be quite concerned if the 24 hour limit was changed.  Quite a few times I have posted something in answer to a query, then some hours later, when there have been no replies, I thought maybe it would be helpful to add more information to the original posr.  On other forums/boards, (forums.MoneySavingExpert.com for example) if you edit a post a note appears on the edited post saying e.g. "Edited at 16:33 July 17th" and it even asks you to enter a reason for making an edit, where people often write "typo", "added link" etc.

Also someone mentioned the titles of posts. Could RC make it easier for posters to edit the title of the post?  You often see embarrasing spelling mistakes or typos in a title, and one's often sure that the poster would prefer to be able to go back and correct the title without having to ask a mod.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: