Author Topic: Bradshaw & Jones tracing  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Bradshaw & Jones tracing
« on: Saturday 23 July 16 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have hit a snag on a husband and wife on the Jones side who are a mystery of where they were born exactly and the dob, there a 4th cousin of my mum searching too. But he has been going by tree info off other people on Ancestry. But it's not leading us to where they were born exactly and dob. I have John L Jones 1810, Oswestry, Shropshire passing away in Pennsylvania 1894. Parents of his is unknown as we can't find a definite dob. I am unsure if he has a middle name initial of L as on the gravestone I noticed it had their names as J. & M. L Jones :/ Mary is born in Walesby, Lincs around 1814, her parents are John Bradshaw and Rebecca Turner. I found her baptism for 10 Sept 1815. But I have never been able to find her dob under either of her parents surnames for the area she was born in.

Can anyone help both of us in finding out, as we have searched so many sites but getting nowhere.

Regards,
Patricia

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bradshaw & Jones tracing
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 16 05:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

Mary BRADSHAW - You have a baptism for her and her parent's names, and I presume you're happy you have the right baptism & parents. That may be all you're ever going to get, and you're relatively lucky to have it   :)  It may be that similar is all you can eventually hope to find for John.

They were both born before the start of Civil Registration, therefore there is no central civil registry recording the actual births. Prior to Civil Registration (from 1 July 1837)you are looking for baptisms or christenings - BUT such records were not always made  or kept, or not always survived.

You have the added 'complications' of:
Catholic & other non-conformist religions who often did things differently,  or baptisms which occurred years after the birth, or baptisms which didn't even necessarily occur in the parish (or country or county) in which the Birth occurred.  Some priest/clerks/religions/parishes recorded the Baptism AND included the date of Birth on the record - but it wasn't a requisite. 

If you come across her Birth date mentioned in a family bible, a will, a newspaper 'intimation', or other documentation such us immigration documents, naturalisations - that would be good luck.

If you have her recorded at certain times of her lifespan (census', death, etc) with an age, then you can at least determine if was or was not  likely born close to the time she was baptised.

If you can find baptisms of siblings, marriages of parents, UK census, etc  that all helps make an accurate determination of where she born.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 16 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Patricia,

What is John's precise date of death  in 1894 and loaction in Pennsylvania where he is buried?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
Where and when did John Jones marry Mary Bradshaw.  What documentation do you have that confirms Marys parents other than the baptism
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 16 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, before I add more information here is the public tree link http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/102488164/family

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 16 10:20 BST (UK) »
Of course, that's only available if you have a subscription to Ancestry! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 July 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,
This is the information on John;
Name   John L. Jones
Birth Date   1810
Death Date   22 Jan 1894
Cemetery   Oakwood Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place   Sharon, Mercer County, Pennsylvania, USA

He is buried with his wife and children. There are census records out there, just not added them on yet. As I have spent all day, searching and searching from England to USA. Upon the marriage of John and Mary I cannot find at this moment, as I'll have to ask mum's 4th cousin if he knows which country. There is a passenger immigration for John again not added yet, but for Mary I have not found that one yet. What I found interesting which twisted my search around a bit for Mary, was that on one record she had surname in her mother's name of Turner and then was Bradshaw of her father surname. We both are definitely happy with who her parents were, this is thee other documentation of Mary;
Name   Mary Jones
Death Date   6 Nov 1875
Cemetery   Oakwood Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place   Sharon, Mercer County, Pennsylvania, USA

Thanks,
Patricia

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 July 16 10:26 BST (UK) »
Ah yeah sorry KGarrad :/ You should still be able to see the info on the family, even if you can't on the documentation.... I hope

Offline Patricia Short

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 July 16 11:02 BST (UK) »
I have  found a John Jones and Mary Bradshaw marriage certificates in years of 1837 and 1852. As they based under the Lancashire, am not sure if they were living there before they immigrated. Gonna have to shift through the census and see if it adds up.