Author Topic: WATERS family at Ashtead - Marriage  (Read 900 times)

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
WATERS family at Ashtead - Marriage
« on: Sunday 24 July 16 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm having a hard time locating the marriage of George Waters to an Elizabeth in the late 18th century. Presumably they would be close to Ashtead, Surrey, as that's where they started to have children from about 1800 onwards.
The children I have found for them include:
George, christened 1800
Maria, christened 1804
John, christened 1806
Elizabeth, christened 1808

I am not real familiar with parish records, so I'm not even sure that what I've found is 100% right. My direct ancestor is George Waters christened 1800, and I have him on the census records and that all seems to add up. He is a labourer in 1841 married to Anne Letford and living at Ashtead. There is another George Waters living near Ashtead at the same time, and he is a coach builder, but they are of no relation so far as I know.

George and Elizabeth can be found together with their son John on the 1841 census. Both parents are aged 70 and John is 30. It says that Elizabeth was born in another county, so there may be a clue there.

If I can find a marriage of George and Elizabeth Waters in the late 1700s I'd be very happy, and hopefully I can start working back from there.

Thanks so much, in advance
Ande
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: WATERS family at Ashtead - Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 July 16 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Ande

I can't see a marriage in Surrey or London at all, using all name variants of Waters I can think of. But there is this one in Yorkshire which I thought looked interesting given the information it provided

George WATERS of this Parish a soldier in the SURREY militia and Elizabeth STAMP of this Parish married by Banns 29 March 1796 at Beverley, St Mary & St Nicholas.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 July 16 14:59 BST (UK) »

George Waters was buried 12 May 1847 at Ashtead St Giles aged 80 years, born c1767

Elizabeth Waters was buried 4 Mar 1847 at Ashtead St Giles aged 82 years, born c1765 ( transcribed as WALERS on Anc*)

Your ancestor George Waters may have been buried 4 Feb. 1888 at Ashtead St Giles aged 87 years, abode: Leatherhead

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 July 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
That Beverley marriage is a good find by Claire.

The Royal Surrey Militia had been quartered in Hull and its neighbourhood "for some time", per the  Hull Advertiser of 2 April 1796, but was to march for York on 5 April.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 16 15:04 BST (UK) »

I nearly didn't check it  :o I thought it would be too far away, but there weren't many to choose from

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 July 16 15:09 BST (UK) »

Can't see any children in the Yorkshire area from 1796-1800

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 July 16 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Thankyou so much for the information you've provided!

Since posting this message on the forum I found a MARRIAGE for a George Waters and an Elizabeth Fatford in London, BUT the marriage is exactly ONE day after George and Elizabeth’s son, George, was christened at Ashtead, St Giles, 30 Mar 1800, so that doesn't seem to compute.
Name:    George Waters
Marriage Date:    31 Mar 1800
Parish:   Christ Church, Newgate Street
County:    London
Borough:   City of London
Spouse:   Elizabeth Fatford
Record Type:   Marriage
Register Type:   Parish Register

That's quite interesting about the Yorkshire marriage. May I ask where you found that information, Claire? Was it Ancestry? The odd thing is that it says George was 'of this parish', meaning Yorkshire. I guess that could be true, and he could've relocated to Surrey to serve in the Militia. I'll have to see if I can verify this somehow! I sure wish that Surrey had their parish chest info online. Maybe one day. :) (I'm in Australia)

JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 July 16 08:00 BST (UK) »
The odd thing is that it says George was 'of this parish'

As reported in the Hull Advertiser, the Royal Surrey Militia had been quartered in the area for some time so "of this parish" would be a valid statement for the three weeks during which the banns were read.

In any case " it shall not be necessary in support of such Marriage, to give any Proof of the actual Dwelling of the Parties in the respective Parishes or Chapelries wherein the Banns of Matrimony were published"

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~framland/acts/1753.htm
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 July 16 08:21 BST (UK) »

The marriage found was on F M P

Claire :)