Author Topic: Winwick in Northamptonshire AND Huntingdonshire  (Read 570 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winwick in Northamptonshire AND Huntingdonshire
« on: Monday 25 July 16 14:03 BST (UK) »
So I'm thinking that I've broken through a brick wall. What I know for sure is that my ancestors Samuel Knighton & Elizabeth Whaples were married in Winwick, Huntingdonshire in Nov 1773. That was all I knew, and couldn't find a record for the birth of Samuel Knighton and who his parents were.

Until I noticed that there was a baptism for a Samuel Knighton in Winwick in Nov 1773, days before the marriage. This made me think Samuel was baptised as an adult prior to marriage. This record gives his parents names as John & Mary.

I couldn't find records for a John & Mary in Winwick, but discovered a marriage between John Knighton & Mary Foreman in Fotheringhay in 1746. The record states "John & Mary of Winwick". I believe that these are Samuel's parents.

Looking further back, I found a wave of records about the Knightons in places throughout Northamptonshire, including Wellingborough, Daventry, Oundle etc, all mentioning a connection to Winwick. Potentially, this has taken me back a further three generations.

Until I noticed that there is a Winwick in Northamptonshire, just as close to these places as the Winwick in Huntingdonshire is.

All of this research rides on the idea that the Winwick being referenced is the one in Huntingdonshire. But there is no way to tell which one is being talked about!

Has anyone come across a situation like this?
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Winwick in Northamptonshire AND Huntingdonshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 16 15:22 BST (UK) »
My geographic knowledge is zero but Familysearch has a Samuel Knighton chisened in great gidding
30 May 1757, parents Samuel and Rose, just old enough for marriage in 1773.

Mike