Author Topic: Carlton/Burchall family  (Read 1111 times)

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Seize the day - after breakfast
    • View Profile
Re: Carlton/Burchall family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 July 16 01:29 BST (UK) »
No, cancel that possible connection with John Watson Carlton. It seems he died and Eliza remarried back in England. Besides which, they appear to be very much out of our league, i.e. rich :)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 July 16 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Mini

Have found nothing to date re:  CARLTON / BURCHALL (or variants) which might link to your Ivan Owen CARLTON.  :(

The following though, caught my attention.  ???

Tasmania Police Gazette - 1887 (date on previous image is 18 February 1887)

Warrants Issued :   

Owen BUCHILL

Bothwell - Owen BUCHILL is charged with larceny as a bailee on warrant issued by A. McDOWALL, Esquire, on 15 instant with having appropriated to his own use the sum of 10s, the property of Philip SMITH.
Description:    [Abbreviated]  ... Aged 25 years ... height 5ft 6in ... light brown har, dark moustache ... Stonemason ... lately working at Oatlands, now supposed to be working at No. 2 Bridge, Derwent Valley Railway Line :

In another reference - 1887 corrections to previous listings in the Tasmania Police Gazette -  under a heading "Miscellaneous Info." >

BUCHILL, Owen .... as BIRCHILL, Owen

My thoughts :   Birchall (however spelled) is a rather uncommon name ... and the above coupled with the forename "Owen"  ... born circa 1862 ... with an occupation of stonemason, plus location, Tasmania,  makes me think this could well be "your man".   ???

~  Lu

Offline MiniHistory

• RootsChat Member
  • Seize the day - after breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 July 16 02:59 BST (UK) »
How very interesting! I'll have to think about this. Thanks, Lu!!

I thought about it for a minute or two then recalled that Ivan Carlton was about 6'4". My father-in-law recalled his grandfather as being very tall, even in old(ish) age. Still, the name combination, etc. is intriguing.