Author Topic: Marriage Record- Donaghmore Presbyterian Church  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Record- Donaghmore Presbyterian Church
« on: Thursday 28 July 16 23:37 BST (UK) »
After checking with PRONI for marriage records for Donaghmore Presbyterian church, they only have from 1845-1936. Can anyone advise if there is somewhere else that I could check for a marriage record for Andrew Ferguson and Jane Campbell, probably around 1815 give or take a few years. I have Andrew as a Church member from 1811-1830 and his first child born in 1819, but don't know where else to search for marriage information.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Record- Donaghmore Presbyterian Church
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 09:19 BST (UK) »
Are you sure there actually are earlier marriage records?

Ros Davies website says records for Donaghmore Presbyterian Church start 1804 but doesn't specify coverage.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/PHOTOSwords/DonaghmoreAll.htm

PRONI's Guide to Church Records have the following-
MIC1P/129: Baptisms, 1804-37 and 1845-1968; marriages, 1845-1936.
MIC1/54/2: Burials of Presbyterian ministers, 1765, 1771, 1803, 1854 and 1927.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf

If there are earlier marriage records they are most likely in local custody. If you can't get a response from the church then the Presbyterian Historical Society, Belfast might be able to confirm what records survive.

For a Presbyterian marriage in early 1800s the likely details are date, name of bride and groom, name of minister.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 13:47 BST (UK) »
Marriage records only start at 1845 at PRONI which I double checked. I would be looking around 1811 since I have found Andrew Ferguson as a male church member at Donaghmore Presby from 1811-1830. I will contact the Minister at the church as well the address you provided in Belfast. After that I may have to accept that is as far back as I can go.

Also can you advise, since Donaghmore Presby does not have a church graveyard, where would a person be laid to rest that attended the church in the late 1800's but lived in Finnard. I heard sometimes Presbyterian members would be buried in Church of Ireland graveyards??? Can you advise while I have you please and thanks!!!!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 July 16 16:58 BST (UK) »
Also can you advise, since Donaghmore Presby does not have a church graveyard, where would a person be laid to rest that attended the church in the late 1800's but lived in Finnard. I heard sometimes Presbyterian members would be buried in Church of Ireland graveyards???
The practice of Presbyterians having burial rights in the Parish Church (Church of Ireland) ground goes back to the days when Presbyterians were forced to pay tithes to the Established (i.e. State) Church.

Have a look at this site which lists graveyards in County Down- you can sort by denomination, etc.-
http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?down
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!