Author Topic: Hunting for Alexander Fraser's birth, death dates & his mother's maiden name  (Read 1165 times)

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm at yet another standstill and wondered if anybody might be able to help.

I'm searching for info on my x3 Great Grandfather, Alexander Fraser.

Here's the info I've got...
Alexander Fraser
Born possibly 1834-1836ish
Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire

He's possibly the child of.... Alexander Fraser (1804-) and Mary ____? (1819-)

Married to Marjory Russell Stevenson
01 Mar 1860 - Newhills, Aberdeen

When I search for Alexander & Marjory's marriage cert. in SP nothing seems to come up.

Children
Catherine Jane Fraser 1861- Old Machar, Aberdeen
Mary Stevenson Fraser 1862- Old Machar, Aberdeen
Alexander Fraser 1864-1918 Old Machar, Aberdeen (My x2 Great Grandfather)
Marjory Russell Fraser 1866- Old Machar, Aberdeen
Henry Jackson Fraser 1868- Old Machar, Aberdeen
William Stevenson Fraser 1872- Aberdeen
Arthur J. Fraser 1874- Aberdeen

The 1841 Census has him 4 months in Old Machar, Aberdeen with his parents & sister Mary Ann
The 1851 Census has him 10 years in Old Machar, Aberdeen with his parents and siblings, Mary Ann, David, Janet G, John & James.
(Notice jump in age between these 2 Census', which leads me to believe I might have the wrong Alexander in 1841 & 1851)
The 1861 Census has him 27 years old with his wife Marjory, and daughter Catherine G working as a Commercial Tea Clerk in Old Machar, Aberdeen.
The 1871 Census has him 37 years old with his wife Marjory, daughter Catherine, Mary, Alexander & Marjory working as a Commercial Grocer Clerk in Old Machar, Aberdeen.
The 1881 Census has him 45 years old with his wife Marjory, daughter Catherine, Mary, Alexander, Marjory, William & Arthur working as a Traveller Lime Shells. (interesting occupation) living in Dennistoun, Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire.
The 1891 Census has him 55 years old with his wife Marjory, and children Catherine & William working as a Commercial Clerk in Dennistoun, Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire.
The 1901 Census has him 65 years old with his wife Marjory living with his children Mary & Arthur working as a Cashier in Dennistoun, Glasgow Barony, Lanarkshire..

Somebody had put his death date as 1904, so I entered it into Scotlands People all confident only to be dissapointed that it wasn't him, it was another Alexander Fraser. (parents Robert & Ann Nelson, married to Jane Smith)

So I'm back to square one, I know he lived until at least 1901. I haven't had any luck finding any birth evidence in Fraserburg, and I can't seem to find any proof of the marriage either. I'd really like to find all that out as well as his mother's maiden name. Now I'm starting to doubt if his parents were Alexander and Mary since I don't have solid proof of that either, and the 7 year gap in age between 1851 & 1861 Census' seems fishy. I'm thinking he's more likely to be born in 1834-1836.

Any help / advice would be great appreciated!!

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for Alexander Fraser's birth, death dates & his mother's maiden name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 16 16:56 BST (UK) »
I think I might have found his actual parents possibly.

George Fraser abt 1814- Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire
and Jean (Jane) Ranken abt 1815-  Strichen, Aberdeenshire

There still doesn't seem to be any birth record for Alexander, but I think this is him showing up in the 1851 Census'.

1851 - George & Jane Fraser - Inn Keepers in Tyrie, New Pitsligo, Aberdeenshire.
Children, Alexander Frases (Fraser), George, James, William, Christina, Thurlow, Margaret & Mary Fraser Frases (Fraser). It lists Alexander as being born in Fraserburgh, which would line up, and all the other children being born in Banff.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for Alexander Fraser's birth, death dates & his mother's maiden name
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 16 17:03 BST (UK) »
When I search for Alexander & Marjory's marriage cert. in SP nothing seems to come up.

Possible marriage of Alexander & Marjory on SP

I just put surname Fraser - no christian name
Input spouse as Marjory Stevenson and date 1859-1861 and it threw up one match
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 July 16 19:19 BST (UK) »
Just to add -
The details on SP all match exept Alexander's forename which is just A(exact match).

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline lockhaven

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks everybody. I confirmed that his parents were George Fraser & Jean (Jane) Ranken.
I found his death certificate, has him passing away in Dennistoun, Lanark 09 Nov 1904. I also found his birth date of 03 Oct 1834 at Saltoun Inn, Fraserburg, Aberdeen. (where his parents were Inn keepers)
Interesting on his death certificate it had different parents listed, but I'm guessing that was just a mess up, as they sounded more like his wife's parents.