Author Topic: pentrych  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
pentrych
« on: Friday 22 July 05 19:04 BST (UK) »
My g/g grandmother gives her birthplace as Ashbourne ,Derbyshire, but familysearch.org gives her Christening as Pentrych, derbyshire.
The date of the Christening would be right,5th aug 1838 ,make her 43 (given)in the 1881 census.The date of birth was given as 17/2/1834 which Im presuming was a mistake in transcription......( I know i have the right couple because of the address)
She was called Sarah Wilder or Wilders before she married Thomas Taylor in 1860 or so.in Bury, Lancs.
My question is, did Pentrych come under Ashbourne in those days.?.it seems a fair way to go for a Christening if they lived in Ashbourne.unless there was some particular reason why.
Thanks in advance.for any suggestions.

Offline mari

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: pentrych
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 05 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jed
 Just a suggestion -- Could there be other family members living at Pentrich (as it is known now)
Sarah was c on 5th Aug1838 --the daughter of John and Sarah
 There were  4 more sisters and 2 brothers all christened on that day
Mary born 1821
Hannahb1824
Elizabeth b 1828
William b 1831
George b 1836
Emily b 1838
Another child of john and Sarah is James b 1843 and c at pentrich on 23 aug 1848
 Must have been quite a family outing!
 Best of luck
mari in oz
HARRIS,(hugglescote, leics)   
THORPE (staffs)     
RHODES (staffs)
WARD (mileham,e bilney nfk)
FARROW(berghapton toft monks,thurlton,nfk)
WHITE (pinxton derbys)
HIGTON(wirksworth derbys)

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 05 15:21 BST (UK) »
An interesting idea...it explains why she was 8 when Christened...as you say, it must have been a good do! Never know of course, but I wonder if the vicar said he'd do a job lot....7 for the price of one!
Ive heard of it with weddings,local vicar appaled at so many folk living over the brush  he said he'd marry people for nothing...14 couples turned up!think he'd get more than that these days!How times change (thinking  of poor little sarah at 10 y.o. a collier.....and my gt.grandad..butchers apprentice at 11!)
Thanks  for your trouble!

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 05 16:32 BST (UK) »
Oh, I asked for an 1841 lookup on the derbyshire board, someone kindly came up with both the Ashbourne Wilder (no"s") and the same Wilders family in Pentrich......
I've just got (Ashbourne)Sarah's wedding certificate from1860; looks like they moved up to bury sometime in the intervening 20 years.Gives her father's name as William Wilder correct) but has now changed his job from being a constable to being a malster (maltster?)If this was something to do with brewing he'd have plenty of trade round here in those days thats for sure.
Thanks again

Offline John Whysall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 October 05 10:08 BST (UK) »
Just a thought ....

I've got a few baptisms/christenings with two or more dates, even years apart, mainly from the Pentrich area. I have assumed that what was happening was an Anglican baptism at birth, then a later Non-Conformist ceremony on joining the (mainly) Methodists.

Any thoughts or comments, anyone?
In Derbyshire: Whysall and their distaffs. In Norfolk and Cambs, Piggott/Pigot and their distaffs. In Ulster and SW Scotland, Hendry, Maud and their links.
Census information may be Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.