Author Topic: William Williams death in Aberllefari Slate Quarry abt. 1895  (Read 8638 times)

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Williams death in Aberllefari Slate Quarry abt. 1895
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger and Gadget.
As earlier post shows and as you suggested, it was worth getting the marriage cert. I got the lead to the families from that. No widow with 2 children though!
Thanks for your help on this subject
Ian
O'Connell, Frost, Marshall, Jones

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Interesting and why getting certs maybe the best way!

Just another check though - did you get a marriage cert for Mary and Thomas Hughes - just to make sure of Mary's father?

Gadget

Added
- Mary's age at marraige doesn't seem to tie in with her age on censuses. Often ages are 'adjusted' but worth checking/noting.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 09:55 BST (UK) »
The North Wales BMD shows the marriage to Thomas Hughes under both Mary's surnames:

1896  Thomas Hughes to Mary E Lloyd and Mary E Williams,

Local Dolgellau ref is DOL/15/E7

GRO  Reg is as Mary Elizabeth Williams - Dolgelly 1896 -  Q.2/11b/673

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 10:46 BST (UK) »
 I've just checked the 1891 census again for a Mary Lloyd, b 1870 +/- 5 years - the only one that seems to fit in the Corris area is a Mary E Lloyd, aged 16, at Brynllwyd Farm, Talylyn. Parents are down as William and Grace  ???

Same in the 1881!

I think the Hughes marriage cert needed.

Gadget

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 12:55 BST (UK) »
I could get the Hughes marriage but it would logically say father Richard Lloyd - wouldn't it - which would not be much help.
In 1891 there is a Mary Lloyd born Corris age 22 servant at the Shop Llandderfel 4640/85/5.
Bit of a long shot in a different village

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 14:11 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate you have is for a couple who can be found at Aberllefari(?) Farm in 1901 ref.RG13 5253 19 2,and therefore  not "your" William.

Regards
Roger

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 15:00 BST (UK) »
I could get the Hughes marriage but it would logically say father Richard Lloyd - wouldn't it - which would not be much help.

The Hughes marriage cert will probably give you Mary's father's name  - and not necessarily a Richard.
Add - it would also give you another check on Mary's age.

Gadget

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 09 August 16 16:20 BST (UK) »
Oops - embarrassing - got a bit carried away there!
Thanks Roger.
Can't immediately see an alternative marriage reference for them

Yes Gadget, I will get the Hughes certificate  - should be sure of that marriage since I know the family that followed is in the censuses. Hopefully her actual father's name will be there.
Ian

Offline ianocon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 16 September 16 10:52 BST (UK) »
I now have Hughes/Williams marriage certificate Dolgelly AMJ 1896 11b 673. Date 25/4/1896
Mary Elizabeth Williams Widow age 21 of Brynllwyd, Corris, Talyllin. Father William Lloyd (Dec'd), farmer.
Thomas Hughes Widower, age 27 of Greenfield Terrace Corris, slate quarrier. father Griffith Hughes (dec'd) farmer.
Witnesses Henry R Jones and John Rogers.
So this confirms previous input from Gadget and Roger - Mary E's father was William Lloyd which fits with William and Grace Lloyd as her parents.
What is a surprise is that Thomas Hughes was a widower on marriage. I wonder if that explains the other 2 children who died (of the 5 born by 1911) - perhaps they were his from a previous marriage.  I know the census asks for "children of this marriage" but it already looks as if Mary included William Lloyd Williams to make 3 living.
The 1911 census raises more questions than it answers because Mary E states she is Married not Widowed but there is no Thomas present and I can't find a record for him. She has also moved away from Corris to Abergarfon Isof, Pantperthog which is in Machynlleth district. However, her ages through the census returns and the 21 on marriage are consistent with a birth in Dologelly OND 1874 11b 391

William Lloyd farmed a large farm at one time. In 1871 the Brynwllyd farm was recorded as 337 acres and he was employing a farm labourer

Grace was a Davies from Llanwin, Montgomeryshire- in 1901 she was by then a widow with her brother Joseph and sister Margaret living with her in Glanynant Corris. There were 3 families in Glanynant including Thomas and Mary E Hughes.