Author Topic: Margaret Mullins(Mullen)  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Mullins(Mullen)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 00:59 BST (UK) »
Have a look at this site, maybe you might find something

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Immigration/Pages/Immigration1848.aspx

Cass

Cass, I believe that is where I found the Mullens in my initial post.

Jamjar.
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 01:07 BST (UK) »
....her marriage entry gives no address or parents names

This is very unusual for a post civil reg marriage.  Is the column headed "Father's name and surname" blank for both the groom and bride or just the bride?

Debra  :)

Both are blank.Also all the sponsors listed for her sisters family in the baptismal register are from the husbands side.
To be honest have drawn a blank on Ellen Mullins (my great gran) and as the only family I am aware of was her sister Margaret was hoping maybe she left some trace in Australian records.That side of my family has more or less disappeared from the local area and any thing I know of them are just stories my deceased aunt told me years ago.

Regarding the photo,it had pride of place in Margaret's niece's house for many years but like everything,nobody asked about these things at the time.Could be she got it taken when she retired from work?It is in the usual postcard format of the time but other than the studio stamp it has no date or postage marks so would assume it was sent enclosed with a letter.

Have my gran's diary and it runs from about 1905 to 1925.She mentions things like having masses said for various relatives and lists of birthdays and annervererseries etc but no mention of her aunt Margaret so maybe she lived to a ripe old age in Australia.

Thanks for the help and the links.Will look through them as soon as I can.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 01:23 BST (UK) »
Just following on from Sue's post about the Margaret at the City View Hotel.   I know this doesn't quite gel with what you know, but she is the only spinster I can see with that name and this family might be worth looking at further.

She arrived in 1873 aged 10 with her parents John and Margaret, both aged 39, and siblings Charles, 15, Mary Ann, 13, Peter, 7, and Joseph, 4.

You can see them here on the Great Queensland (PDF page 17)

http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/ImmigrationIndexes/Documents/Great_Queensland_1873_QSA_Item_ID_18476.pdf

Some are buried together at Toowong:

https://graves.brisbane.qld.gov.au/

Search for Margaret MULLEN died 1955 click on 'Details' and see her parents, brother Charles and sister Mary Ann WHITE and Mary Ann's husband Thomas.  I believe Thomas was the licensee of the City View Hotel and then Mary Ann after his death in 1918.

I thought it was interesting that they emigrated the year after Ellen married and were just old enough to have a child in 1852.  There is always the possibility that Ellen was Margaret's daughter but not John's?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 01:29 BST (UK) »

1889   B22533 Margaret Mullen Hugh Mullen Margaret - ** born Ireland aged 62 years - too old

This death is Margaret's mother.  Note she is seven years older than stated on arrival.  John is three years older when he died.

Queensland BDMs are free to search online.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 01:39 BST (UK) »

There is a woman named Margaret MULLEN on the Electoral Roll in North Brisbane and Leichardt district from 1905 to about 1929.

Sportsman Hotel, Leichardt
DD

Sue

....and Mary Ann WHITE is the Licensee at the Sportsman's Hotel in 1929.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 02:33 BST (UK) »
There are a number of family trees on Ancestry for the various branches of this family and I finally had a win  ;D with one uploading the marriage cert for Charles MULLEN who married Clara CORCORAN at St Stephen's Cathedral, Brisbane, in 1883.  He gives his place of birth as Cookstown, Co. Tyrone.

This cert and all the other entries related to the family give Margaret's maiden surname as [variations of] MULLEN.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 04:50 BST (UK) »
Do you have witnesses names on the marriage certificate for your great grandmother please?

Is it possible that Aunt Margaret MULLEN in Queensland is a sister-in-law of your great grandmother, rather than a sister?

Can you scan the postcard and post to this site - someone might be able to spot something useful on it?

Are the MULLENS family Catholic Irish?

Who did your MULLENS great grandmother marry.?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 06:10 BST (UK) »
The line of search on this Margaret MULLENS is beginning to look encouraging.

It makes  sense that an expensive photo could probably not be afforded by a woman who did not have an occupation listed on the E Rolls.

There was no occupation other than Domestic Duties on any of the Margaret's registrations.  This is not to be confused with the occupation of house-maid or housekeeper in the employed sense.  It means she "kept house at home"

Without support (usually male) an enemployed woman would be struggling to survive in those times.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 06:22 BST (UK) »
In 1905 the Electoral Roll shows-

Thomas WHITE licenced victualler
Mary WHITE
449 Wickham Terrace Nth Brisbane.

So, with Margaret MULLEN ;D