Author Topic: Baptisms performed by army chaplains  (Read 1102 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptisms performed by army chaplains
« on: Tuesday 02 August 16 08:09 BST (UK) »
The British army used to permit a certain number of wives (1 in 10, I think it was) to be officially "on the strength" and to follow camp, performing cooking and washing duties for the men.

No doubt a number of babies were born in such circumstances, and baptized by army chaplains.

Where were such baptisms registered, if at all? And do the registers still exist?

The question arises because I have an ancestor with a "northern" surname marrying in Middlesex in the 1760s. I cannot find any evidence of a baptism, or any evidence of a family by that name present in Middlesex prior to them.

The thought that occurs is that she was probably born in about 1745 ... and that raises the interesting possibility that her father may have been a soldier in Cumberland's army, recruited in the north, but who perhaps returned with the army to London after the Young Pretender had been sent packing and never went back up north.

If so ... is this a hopeless brick wall? Or might I find, tucked amongst the records of Cumberland's army in some dusty archive of the National Army Museum in Chelsea, a register of baptisms performed by army chaplains?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms performed by army chaplains
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 08:32 BST (UK) »
You need to search for the history of the Army Chaplaincy Service, I believe.   
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
OK Scouse Boy ... many thanks  :)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 08:39 BST (UK) »
 Try    www.army.mod.uk
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 08:44 BST (UK) »
I doubt if you will find anything. I have an ancestor born in Sicily in 1808 to a soldier father and his wife. There is no trace of a military record of the baptism, but when they returned to Scotland, they had the baptism recorded in the local parish register, mentioning the place (Messina) and the name of the army chaplain. It seems that they might have had a paper certificate signed by the chaplain which they had shown the session clerk.

There are, however, other possibilities for your "Northern-named" person. Scots did come to live and work in the south. She might have been from a family which had been there for several generations. Perhaps she had come as a domestic servant with a member of the Scottish "upper classes".

By the way, what is the name?

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 08:59 BST (UK) »
It's a Yorkshire name, not a Scottish name: Elizabeth Hepinstall. Married Benjamin Holmes at St Bartholomew the Great on 8 April 1765. Prior to that ... not a lot!

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 09:04 BST (UK) »
Amport House   near Andover   is the home of the Army Chaplains  Museum.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 09:09 BST (UK) »
There's a separate museum devoted simply to army chaplains??  :o

Well fancy that!

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hepinstall

Looking at the register, she signs her name as Elizabeth Heptinstall.  One of the witnesses was Mark Heptinstall.

There seem to have been a number of Heptinstall families in London in the mid-18th century.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk