Author Topic: James Sanders, Torver  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Sanders, Torver
« on: Tuesday 02 August 16 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for some help with James Sanders who lived at Hoathwaite with his wife Mary and family. He died in December 1850, aged 82, and is buried at St Luke's, Torver. He and his family spent some time in Ashbourne, Derbyshire, but are buried at St Luke's alongside their 3 sons, John (1814-1842), William (twin to Thomas, b.Ashbourne 1816 d.Torver 1861) and Thomas (twin to William b.Ashbourne 1816 d.Torver 1899). Their eldest child, Jane (1812-1832) is buried in St Luke's, but what is puzzling is that she is buried in the same grave as a Jane Gibson of Hoathwaite who died in 1839 aged 55. I haven't been successful in finding a link between the Sanders family and Jane Gibson so far.

James and Mary's youngest daughter, Sarah was born in Ashbourne in 1818, married William Barratt in 1843 and lived at Holly How, Church Coniston. She died in 1887 and is buried in St Luke's graveyard with her husband.

As it stands, James and the Sanders line are a dead end so any information on the family would be very much appreciated!!

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: James Sanders, Torver
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 18:05 BST (UK) »
Such a small church yard have you checked to see if it is a private plot or a public grave
also do you know if there was a headstone on the grave
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 18:22 BST (UK) »
William Sanders
Of Torver
Probate records held at Lancashire records office
W/RW/F/R398A/3
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 20:10 BST (UK) »
It might be interesting to have a look at Jane's
death certificate
Registration district Ulverston,March 1838
to see if any of the Sanders/Saunders family registered her death

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
November 12th 1842
on the 6th i s ant,after a few days illness,to the deep regret of his relations and friends.
John eldest son of James Sanders,of Hoathwaite in Torver,aged 33 or 35.
His death was occasioned by a small piece of decayed wood piercing the forefinger of his right hand
which brought on  lock jaw and spasms

you have his burial

Both parents deaths are in the Westmorland gazette

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 22:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Radcliff.

I've seen pictures of both the Sanders family grave and Jane's grave online and have seen the obituaries in the Westmorland Gazette via British Newspaper Archives. The main problem I'm having is James' background. The only census he appears on is the 1841 which only says that he wasn't born in Lancashire. I'd love to find out if he had any brothers or sisters and who his parents were but so far no luck. Fingers crossed for a breakthrough!!

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 05:59 BST (UK) »
I see he wasn't born in Lancashire
this explains why I found no trace of him in earlier church records
where was he married

Derbyshire ?

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 15:41 BST (UK) »
That's a good question Radcliff!!

I have the baptism records for his youngest 3 children (William, Thomas and Sarah) who were all baptised at St Oswald in Ashbourne, Derbyshire. James' occupation is given as a mail guard at the time. I haven't been able to find records for his eldest two children, Jane and John, at the same church. There's a website which mentions the Sanders' and it suggests that James Sanders married Mary Turner at All Saints, Derby (the Cathedral) on 26 December 1811. This would fit but unfortunately records there state only that both were of the parish.

I guess James' Will might give information about more family members?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 16 13:11 BST (UK) »
Knowing James Sanders was not local to Torver,
makes me think how did he land up there,I know the area well,

I wonder if his wife was from here
plenty of Turners around Blawith and Lowick