Author Topic: James Sanders, Torver  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Northern Gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Sanders, Torver
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 May 23 16:52 BST (UK) »
I'm added this information to see if anyone out there has managed to find anything or is also looking for information on James Sanders (b.1768 ish)

When I originally posted my query I knew very little about him and still don't know where he was born. However I believe he married Mary Dixon at St Bees Priory in 1801. He was a 35 year old husbandman of Netherby, Longtown and Mary was 25 and resident in Whitehaven. I suspect Mary's family have connections to Torver and that is how they ended up there.

Prior to living in Torver it seems the family lived in Cheshire and Derbyshire which I'm guessing is because of James' work as a mail guard - I found a newspaper article dated 31 Dec 1819 which originally came from the Chester Chronicle and mentioned an injury to 'James Saunders the guard of the mail between Derby and Northampton' following an accident (given that the spelling Sanders seems to vary and often appears as Saunders I'm going along with this being the right man).

I'd love to find out where James was from so that I can grow my tree. As always, any help would be great