Author Topic: time travel getting youngsters interested in FH  (Read 1854 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
time travel getting youngsters interested in FH
« on: Wednesday 03 August 16 06:42 BST (UK) »

Today the  magic reading chair will be transporting the FEELGOOD club back to the 60's

I was around then as were both parents + 4 grandparents + 2 ggparents

I have colouring books + stickers clothes of era we can listen to 60's music + look at my fave childrens books

and photos of myself + sisters
I happen to have a 50 year celebration boolk about my primary school + they have extensive photos + records of that era ..I visited with anold school friend 10 year

Unfortunately I dont have many dress-up clothes .

We can make a
video clip ...it could be turned into a commercial venture ..feel free to steal my idea but invite me as a consultant /

: the i'll show specific examples from my life or they can ask about specific ppl + find photos of them ..Its a way of getting kids who ,are not interested in History hooked The 7 year old already wants to read the story written by another 7 year old in 1966 ...

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ande

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: time travel getting youngsters interested in FH
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 06:51 BST (UK) »
Sounds really interesting! Don't forget to mention the Beatles. *wink*
JONES, HALL, CHACE, WRIGHT, CROCKER, NEPEAN, LAWRANCE, THORPE, ELLIOT, MORAN, all in South Australia. STÄRKE, SCHOLZ/SHOLZ in Prussia and South Australia. WATERS, FOWLER, INCE, MEARS, LLOYD, TRUSTER and COOPER in England (mainly Surrey). FRANKORT, LEUNISSEN, MUIJRERS, BROURERS, GORISSEN, DAMOISEAUX and LAHAYE/LAHIAJE in Limburg, Netherlands.

Offline starcat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 06:58 BST (UK) »
Dont forget the toys of the 60's, they will be interested in them.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 07:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ande ; unfortunately in the 60's although we listened to the Beatles we didnt realise that my father may have influenced the song themes of one of them .

But it would be interesting to know what music a child would be influenced by .

I listened to alot of folk songs by then my parents were fans of Dylan Joan baez ..+ H belafonte came into our lives I think via influence of a Nigerian student .

We found languages easy because my parents learned lang + travelled ."where have all flowers gone " was later sung by my sis at folk clubs ..I have a cassette of her singing mostly trad folk songs recorded 70/80's
but history takes us back to Lanarkshire weavers then we can look at my gparents lives .

The Russian boys who will participate live in my street .computer geek is coming at ten ..he can sing Russian songs ..so i expect computer lesson will be more about finding things than doing things .

I met the boys Baboushka via skype last night ..a beautiful lady who wasnt even born in 60's
but they are going to call me Baboushka B (granny B) good name for a story-teller .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 07:09 BST (UK) »
i want to spend as much time as poss doing active things we can go in garden + hula hoop i have hobby horses but they were really pre sixties .

they can always research on line later or we could phone a few relatives + ask Q's about their lives then .

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 13:46 BST (UK) »
There's a lovely old fashioned sweet shop in St Neots, and one of the thingds they do is boxes of "favourite sweets of the ..." with versions for the 1950s, 1960s, 1978s, 1980s and 1990s. They also SAY there is one for the 1940s ... but I can't imagine what would be in it!

Something like that would surely be of interest (although at £8.95 a pop, too expensive to hand out at the end ... although maybe if you had one complete box for them to look at, you coul dthen empty another two or three into a sack for a "lucky dip" handout at the end ... )
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 14:01 BST (UK) »
There's a lovely old fashioned sweet shop in St Neots, and one of the thingds they do is boxes of "favourite sweets of the ..." with versions for the 1950s, 1960s, 1978s, 1980s and 1990s. They also SAY there is one for the 1940s ... but I can't imagine what would be in it!

Something like that would surely be of interest (although at £8.95 a pop, too expensive to hand out at the end ... although maybe if you had one complete box for them to look at, you coul dthen empty another two or three into a sack for a "lucky dip" handout at the end ... )

... or you could simply google "favourite sweets of the 60s" which brings up lots of sites and suggestions  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 14:50 BST (UK) »
How about preparing a Powerpoint presentation of loads of images of toys / pastimes - they could also ask their parents /  grandparents what their favourite toys as children were- hula hoops or Barbie dolls, whip and top or yo-yo, if you've got images can be much more evocative.
You could do a "fashion parade" in the same way - organise images into a power point pres. Or even draw out "paper dolls" with a colouring in sheet of dresses to colour, cut out ( don't forget the tabs) and dress as at start of 60s , middle and end. Remember, at start we all wanted to look like the adults, then came minis, etc - and at the end, Maxis - !
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 August 16 13:09 BST (UK) »
In my local poundshop they sell a mixed bag of lovehearts.parma violets ,blackjacks + other retor sweets 
i havent got stuff at home to do power point its not a school in any case we just want tp play .

yes i'm hoping they will ask thier grans about their toys and games ;i met the real glamorous Baboshxa on skype .

I have a colouring book with flowered dresses for yhr dixties