Author Topic: 1841 Census - SIMPKIN / Rebecca  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - SIMPKIN / Rebecca
« Reply #54 on: Monday 08 August 16 12:33 BST (UK) »
Reading back though this there is a lot of information to digest, but as your aim is to connect Mary who married in 1822, to William Simpkin, who is named as her father when she re-married, then I think the next step has to be to obtain the will of William Simpkin of Castle Donnington.  If he names Mary then it will be by her first married name, which is what you are trying to prove.

Unfortunately the CD doesn't give the reference for the records office, but this is the full information I have:

Archdeaconry Court, 1839
William Simpkin, Labourer of the parish of Castle Donington
Will Reference 1: PR/T/
Will Reference 2: 1839/164
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 08 August 16 14:18 BST (UK) »
Righty-oh

Back home now so I've had a proper look at the newpaper archive online, and these are the William Simpkins mentioned in Leicestershire papers between 1800 - 1841 (all abbreviated to WS!):

1. WS deceased, previous proprietor of the Bishop Blaze inn at Barrow on Soar (1812)

2. WS of the Harrington Arms, Sawley (1830 - onwards - the inn was used as an auction house so mentioned many times over years)

3. WS, died Thurmaston Feb 1833 age 54 years.

4. WS living near Swithland (1836)

5. WS of Whetstone (appears in the search but I can't see the article when I enlarge it so no idea of any further details other than that someone was on his land!) 1836

6. WS of Hallaton, grazier (serving on a jury) 1837

7. WS m Ann Polkey in Loughborough 1840

I'm not sure that any of the above would be helpful but if it does nothing more than rule someone out, that's good.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 08 August 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Good Grief..............

Am I getting carried away.... Maybe!

Those non-conformists.... what ever that means!  I love it.  I nearly feel off my chair when read William and Rebecca Simpkin when I found it on Anc* this morning.

Jomot.... where do I go from here to find that will?!

Trish and Jomot.... I noticed those Hannah marriages too but haven't looked at them yet.  Poss daughter of Wm and Rebecca?!

willsy and Annie.... not sure about the Publican part.... I've only seen him William Simpkin referenced as a labourer, but I guess anyone could become a publican.... although would you have to be able to read and write?!

Love your work....
bitzar.

ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 08 August 16 15:19 BST (UK) »
I'd have doubts about the publican/labourer issue too. I've just included them all, publicans and the rest, so that you might be able to rule things out.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 08 August 16 15:27 BST (UK) »
Absolutely Annie.....

bitzar
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 08 August 16 15:54 BST (UK) »
Jomot.... where do I go from here to find that will?!

Trish and Jomot.... I noticed those Hannah marriages too but haven't looked at them yet.  Poss daughter of Wm and Rebecca?!

willsy and Annie.... not sure about the Publican part.... I've only seen him William Simpkin referenced as a labourer, but I guess anyone could become a publican.... although would you have to be able to read and write?!

A starting point for the will would be to contact Leicestershire Records office. 

Hannah has me thinking up all sorts of conspiracy theories, including that Amy may be her daughter rather than Rebecca's.  Those two marriages to very similar named men in towns where the family is now known to have been associated with are very intriguing (but of course may just be coincidental). 

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 08 August 16 16:31 BST (UK) »
Jomot..... That kind of thing doesn't happen in my family!  :o :o :o. I'm so joking.... It always has and still is, lol!  I was thinking something similar.

And those two names, so similar.  Very odd.... I mean unusual.

Bitzar.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 08 August 16 16:55 BST (UK) »
I think it happened in most families - the parents on my gran's brothers birth certificate are actually his grandparents :-X

I'm going on holiday in less than 12 hours so I'm going to miss any update on that will.  It's going to be bugging me now until I get back !

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 08 August 16 17:06 BST (UK) »
Just going back through the St George baptisms to William & Elizabeth Simpkin:

19 Sep 1849 - Ana Hannah

On the 1851 (where William is enumerated as Thomas) she is just Hannah.