Author Topic: Unknown family  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown family
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 August 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
An 800dpi scan might be better...it looks 1940s to me.
Carol

Thanks, Carol

The next option on my scanner after 600 is 1200, nothing in between.  Would that be worth a try?

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 16 12:21 BST (UK) »
Yes it would Bee...although you may have to reduce the physical size to get it under 500kb.
Worth a try.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 August 16 18:55 BST (UK) »
The young man in the middle  seems to be wearing a black uniform  (or dark blue)   and he also has a badge   on his  breast pocket.     He could have been Royal Armoured Corps,  or alternatively   Air Raid Precautions   or fire Service?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 August 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
Enlarged the photo a little and had a look under the magnifying glass, I agree with the elder gentleman being Home Guard for the reasons already stated, age, medal ribbons etc.

The chap on the left of the photograph "May" be wearing the badge of the Artillery on his beret but its still a bit blurred.

The chap in what appears to be darker attire has what I can only describe as a Sheriffs badge on his tunic  :-\ obviously it's not, I will continue looking  ;D

Frank.

Added:- The chap in the dark attire may be wearing a "A.F.S" or "N.F.S" Patch / Badge on his tunic.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 August 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
The Home Guard  were stood down in December 1944

It  sounds logical that the  Fire Service  would have black uniforms   to differentiate them from the Armed Services
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 August 16 07:48 BST (UK) »
The soldier with the "beret" is wearing the 1943 pattern Cap GS (general service) first approved by Army Order 1943 also known as "Cap Ridiculous"

Cant see the badge at all

James

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 August 16 13:01 BST (UK) »
My thoughts are the Sergeant is Home Guard (only because he looks older) and his medal ribbons are possibly ww1. pity the arm insignia can't be enlarged, it is either a divisional patch or trade patch, could it be the crossed bombs of Home Guard Bomb Disposal?

So for what it is worth I would say Sergeant and his wife with two daughers and their boyfriends or husbands.
If it was post war perhaps the others would be wearing medal ribbons (just a thought).
It may help if the pic could be enlarged, it just pixelates when I do it.

James
          I follow your reasoning,  But   the medal ribbons   could be for WW2  or, if he had been a regular in the 1930s,  he may have been awarded  medals   during the 1930s.         Or he may have been a police officer  before the war, and they  were police service medals.

Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 08 August 16 23:14 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying.  Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm attaching the photo again but this time it's scanned at 1200. just in case it makes any difference.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 August 16 18:49 BST (UK) »
I think the young man in the middle has a Civil Defence (CD )    badge on his pocket.    I have just been watching Dads Army   and the Warden  was wearing a similar  uniform.
Avies ~   Norwich