Author Topic: Joseph Burns born 1885 Glasgow  (Read 845 times)

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Joseph Burns born 1885 Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 03 August 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,

Thank you for any help with my Burns family from Glasgow. Arthur and Elizabeth Burns had 9 children in Glasgow. I have them in 1891 and 1901 census. Their son Philip Burns born 1889 is my great great grandfather- he died in WWI. I am looking for his brother Joseph Burns born 1885. The Burns men were coal miners but also served in military. There is a  Joseph Burns, of the right age, who died serving in the 2nd Battn Black Watch, of "Fever WYD" in 1909. Any help finding out if this is my Joseph Burns or any other info about Burns family I would be most grateful.

Thank you very much Barbara Baxter
Scotland: Baxter,Paterson,Brown, Hunter, Main, Grant, Fraser, Bain, Sharp,
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley
Sheffield,England: Rollinson, Platts, Crofts

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Burns born 1885 Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara ,

Was Elizabeth's maiden name Devany ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 17:46 BST (UK) »
Yes, Elizabeth Devany born in 1856 is my 2nd great grandmother. Elisabeth married Arthur Burns in 1881. Records show they were born in Dublin. I think they made their way to Scotland because of the potato famine. Their son Philip Burns is my great grandfather. His name is on the WWI war memorial in Rutherglen. Trying to track down his siblings, especially Joseph Burns. Thank you so very much, Barbara Baxter
Ireland: Millar, Wilkinson, Burchill, Devany, Burns, Hegarty, Ward, Lennen, Conley

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara I would say that is your Joseph Burns going by UK Army Register of Soldiers Effects residence Rutherglen ...Names mentioned mother Lizzie Father Arthur Brother Andrew ,Arthur,Philip,William ,sisters Emily and Lizzie ...Did notice some of these names on the census forms .If this is your Joseph he died 6th November 1909 burial 7th November 1909 Sealkot Bengal India
Rosie

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 19:42 BST (UK) »
Yes! Thank you very much! That is my Joseph-those are his siblings! Would you know where I could find his military/burial record! Thank you!! Barbara

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara this record was on A:::::ry  no image on the burial record and not seeing anything else  ???
Rosie

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 20:09 BST (UK) »
Found it!!  Thank you so much!! This helps fill in some blanks and more to work with.

Don't want to ask too much. The census says Elizabeth had given birth to 9 children (I have record of 8 children), and that only 6 were alive in 1911. Of the 9 I have, only one died very young (William the first) in the 1880s. So, two others died before 1911. I think there was a second William so looking for what happened to him.

Thank you very much! So grateful, Barbara

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi try looking for William going to Canada 1923 ? Also a possible Emily b McColl age 48 going to Australia with husband John McColl ....Wonder if this is the John McColl that is with the family in the 1901 census ...You could maybe look for a marriage for Emily Burns to John  McColl on Scotland's People
Rosie

Offline BBaxter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 20:50 BST (UK) »
Wow! OK-have Emily with husband and will try to look for William in Canada. Thank you very much! You are so good at this! Barbara