Author Topic: FTDNA Family Finder 30% Off  (Read 763 times)

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
FTDNA Family Finder 30% Off
« on: Wednesday 03 August 16 16:35 BST (UK) »
There is 30% off FTDNA Family Finder (autosomal) tests:

http://bit.ly/2alqCVA

Does not mention how long this offer will last.

They also mention we will now be able to tell if an autosomal match is on our maternal or paternal side, but this is not yet enabled:

*backs up van*

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FTDNA Family Finder 30% Off
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for posting the offer. I had seen the paternal and maternal layout on the ftDNA site and i assume this is what they were going to be doing.

Incidentally anyone who has uploaded to Gedmatch if you use the phasing tool there it tells you which of your matches are from the maternal side and which the paternal side. Used it the other day and from first looks it works well.

Question: What I would be intersted in if anyone knows is how they work out which of your matches come from the maternal or paternal side. I assume its something to do with how the data is ordered or marked but don't know what

Finally some time ago there were rumours that ftDNA would be updating how they determine peoples origins this autumn, so unless I missed it that may be something else to look out for
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline david64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Snow in Llansilin, 7 Jan 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the note about GedMatch showing paternal/maternal origins. I did not know that. It is a useful feature.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 21:19 BST (UK) »
For the phasing I thought you needed the results of a parent?  So if you had your results and your father's results they can strip out your father's DNA to give you the bits you received from your mother.

My understanding about assigning matches to maternal or paternal is that it is reliant on having close relatives test, and knowing which side they're from.  Also if you share three grandparents with a cousin (which has happened in our family) it gets complicated.

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 21:26 BST (UK) »
I see that it is not 30% off but 30$ off. Not much in it for the cheapest option but the more expensive ones are in the hundreds. Would have been good to have 30% off of them, still, better than a kick in the teeth.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 22:12 BST (UK) »
For the phasing I thought you needed the results of a parent?  So if you had your results and your father's results they can strip out your father's DNA to give you the bits you received from your mother.

My understanding about assigning matches to maternal or paternal is that it is reliant on having close relatives test, and knowing which side they're from.  Also if you share three grandparents with a cousin (which has happened in our family) it gets complicated.

Yes you are correct on the system Gedmatch use you enter your data and that of either parent (or both if you want). I did mine and my father's and the results were along the lines I would expect for the few matches I do know what side they come from.

Interesting the system ftDNA have planned as David64's post and diagram show they are planning to say maternal, paternal or both. I guess that latter would cover the point you made. (I did do the test on Gedmatch to see if my mother and father were related and not a trace but then as they come from opposite ends of the country that was to be expected).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.